Humax Fox T2 recorder

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have the above PVR that states that it has twin tuners, fine. But I can record two programmes at the same time AND watch a tv channel simultaneously, can anyone else do tat with their Humax? I don't want to raise this issue with Humax in case they issue an over the air update to stop this very handy feature.

I await your experiences.

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
My understanding is that this is only possible if the third channel to be watched is on the same mux as one of the channels being recorded.

A

Anonymous

Thank you daveh75, so all pvrs with 2 tuners can simultaneously record 2 different programmes while watching a third, different programme can they? I wasn't aware of that and have never experienced it with any previous pvr.

Bob.g I'm sorry I don't know what an 'mux' is to be able to further your comment.

Thank you,

lordy

daveh75

lordy said:
Thank you daveh75, so all pvrs with 2 tuners can simultaneously record 2 different programmes while watching a third, different programme can they? I wasn't aware of that and have never experienced it with any previous pvr.
Not all, but it's becoming increasingly common

Bob.g I'm sorry I don't know what an 'mux' is to be able to further your comment.

Thank you,

lordy

What bob is saying is correct. A mux (multiplex) is a group of channels on a single carrier/frequency. Basically in the days of analogue every channel was broadcast on it's own frequency/carrier, but with digital, several channels can occupy the same bandwidth as a single analogue channel so are grouped together in a mux, and broadcast on a single carrier.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to you both, at least now I know that I'm not imagining it and the reason for it. 3 channels from 2 tuners still doesn't really compute though.

I am obliged,

lordy

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
The PVR can decode more than one channel at a time (3 as it happens) that's done by the processor, the limit comes with the number of tuners, in this case two, which means it can lock into two of the muxes at a time.

If the 2 channels you're recording are on the same mux then it'll use one tuner to lock into that mux and decode them both from that tuner leaving the other free allowing you to lock onto any of the muxes and watch any channel.

If, however, you're recording two channels on different muxes the box will have to use both tuners to lock to both muxes. Whilst it's recording the only channels you'll be able to watch will be on those two muxes.

Give this a go and see what you get: go to BBC1 and press record, then go to BBC2 press record again (assuming you aren't recording anything else!) press List on your remote and you'll see all the channels are available.

Now press Stop and clear one of the recordings, doesn't matter which, then pop it on (eg) Film 4 and press record, then press List again and hey presto a lot of the channels are greyed out, those channels are on the other muxes.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the heads-up. Living in an area of 'Freeview Lite' , channel availability is severely restricted although I am SO pleased to get Gay Rabbit and other wonderful channels. Film4 etc are but a rumour to us 'Lite' fortunates.

Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS