Huh. SMS being replaced by

Mihkel_Forte

Oct 24, 2019
Visit site
So, all four major carriers are switching from SMS to RCS... I don't even.
What does this mean for the average user?

I've tried to read the technical docs and coverage out there, but I don't really get how this joint venture is going forward.
Marketing-speak runs heavy, factual-speak is missing.

Will everything be auto-updated by our device and software or are we looking at mass upgrade reqs?
I'm a struggling singer and can barely afford my phone plan, never mind a whole new phone!

KingstonJ

Oct 23, 2019
Visit site
It's basically Android catching up to iMessage. Hopefully interoperability will be worked out.
But nobody is actually implementing the standard the same way, if they even bother with it at all. It’s going to be a while before it’s standard.

scene

You shouldn't need a new phone - If you've got Google Messages, you can use RCS. The bigger issue is whether your carrier supports it... If you're on Voda, then you're probably good to go. On EE you need to have a non-Samsung phone on Lollipop (Android 5.0) or above - for example.
- Chat does use your data allowance, rather than SMS, but fails back to SMS if the receiving party can't do RCS...
- Best thing is to check in Google Messages - but you need to set this up as your default messaging app and accept Google's T&Cs
- Once this is done:
1. Open the messages app
2. Click on "Settings"
3. Click on "Advanced"
4. Click on "Chat settings" - if you can get into chat settings, your provider & phone support RCS
- and you can turn it on from here...

Reactions: KingstonJ

KingstonJ

Oct 23, 2019
Visit site
I'm using GoogleFi (and freaking love it). I use FB Messenger though, so I guess I'd better check out Google Messages soon.
Any idea when this is actually rolling out to us as users?

scene

I'm using GoogleFi (and freaking love it). I use FB Messenger though, so I guess I'd better check out Google Messages soon.
Any idea when this is actually rolling out to us as users?

It should work now... maybe.
If you've downloaded Google messages load it and set it as your default for messaging (rather than the phone's SMS service)
- It should give you a notification "Do more with Messages"
- Tap next
- It'll ask to stay connected in the background (say yes)
- I did this and a little while later got a popup in Messages that "Chat features ready for #####-#######"

Seems to work - if only someone else I knew was using it... :unsure:

scene

It should work now... maybe.
If you've downloaded Google messages load it and set it as your default for messaging (rather than the phone's SMS service)
- It should give you a notification "Do more with Messages"
- Tap next
- It'll ask to stay connected in the background (say yes)
- I did this and a little while later got a popup in Messages that "Chat features ready for #####-#######"

Seems to work - if only someone else I knew was using it... :unsure:

UPDATE:
Does seem a little buggy (or maybe EE)
- just checked and told me that "chat features were unavailable on my phone"
- so went through the troubleshooting reset process
- NB: Operator Services is the same as Carrier Services, should you need to try this...

Now see if it's working (again)...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts