HTC One Ultrapixels Actually Work !

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The first real technical review of the HTC One is in [anand] - and it appears the camera is as good as promised.

For still photos the HTC One is better than anything out there including the Nokia 920, and much better than the SG3 or Iphone5.

And for video it is on a par with the 920 and better than anything else.

In low light situations the review says there is no other other phone that comes close at all.

So it would appear that Ultrapixels may have something going for them and not be the usual ballc**p we get from manufactures.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm still one of those weirdos who prefers to use a DSLR except for 'disposable' snapshots, so they're wasting their effort on me.

I realise I'm a rare breed.

Have to agree that its design makes such as the iPhone 5 look old fashioned, and the latter hasn't been out a year yet.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I'm still one of those weirdos who prefers to use a DSLR except for 'disposable' snapshots, so they're wasting their effort on me.

And then you waste your own effort commenting on something you're not interested in. Weird.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
LHC seeing that you no-doubt think I'm a *** and the feeling's mutual, can we just agree not to comment on each other's posts. Thanks.

Back on topic...must say the technology does look interesting. Wonder what other manufacturers' response will be? Photography is clearly seen as a major feature on phones these days.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Photography is clearly seen as a major feature on phones these days.

I took this almost seven years ago in 2006 when testing out a new Sony Ericsson K750i...

8624182083_e4e57f1ef2.jpg

(It's a resize of a crop of the original but not bad so long as you only wanted web images rather than large prints.)

So 'these days' was 'those days' regarding photography with phones. (And I was late to adopt the technology so you can probably add on at least a few more years since cameras on phones became widespread and popular.)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
True enough Chebby, but even more emphasis is on it now don't you think? I used to be 'properly' into photography and I remember the N90 being one of the first phones which really registered on photographers' radars.

Only one thing, they keep improving the colors, resolution and other things, but what about barrel-distortion and pincushioning? With DSLRs, huge sums of money are thrown at developing the lenses so that straight lines appear straight across the frame and buildings at the edge of the frame don't look condemned. (Obviously fisheyes are exceptions.) But I haven't seen a phone yet which can properly 'do' straight verticals. Fair enough I've not exactly tried hundreds.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
LHC seeing that you no-doubt think I'm a ***

Not really, I don't give it that much thought if I'm honest, I just seem to find myself disagreeing with everything you say.

and the feeling's mutual, can we just agree not to comment on each other's posts. Thanks.

You do what you like, I'll comment as and when I see fit. I just don't get this obsession people have with commenting on a topic just to say they're not interested. The only reason I can think of is snobbery, to show everyone how much better they are because they use something "better".

Back on topic...must say the technology does look interesting. Wonder what other manufacturers' response will be?

They'll ignore it, the One's an excellent phone, doesn't mean it'll sell, especially if HTC can't do a decent job of marketing the idea that 4MP is good enough. People go on numbers, I don't fancy HTC's chances of persuading the general public otherwise.

Photography is clearly seen as a major feature on phones these days.

Most people don't have a requirement for SLR standard pictures, so having something half decent on a device they always have with them is the ideal solution.

Paul.

This does look great, and I'm pleased they have gone in this direction. I always felt Nokias huge megapixel + pixel binning method was a flawed concept so glad to see a low megapixel high ISO phone. Unfortunately for HTC, they haven't really done anything clever, just implemented what happened in photography 4 or 5 years ago, it's just common scence sensor design. If it shifts phones, the market will shift in that direction and everyone will do the same.

TRENDING THREADS