HT cable requirements ??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My HD TV and Panasonic BD35 are connected via HDMI....I'm on the verge of getting a Yamaha X563 amp and some 5.1 Jamo A102HCS5 speakers, but what cable do I need ?

I'm assuming another HDMI cable goes from panny to Amp but what goes from the amp to the speakers ?

A

Anonymous

Wow seems quite cheap...not that I'm complaining !

Thanks for the reply

A

Anonymous

I need some more advice..

whats an airlock and how many do you need for 5.1 ?

For a fairly small room ( 14ft x 14ft ) how much speaker cabling would you typically need ?

and lastly, wheres the best place for the sub ? behind the couch , behind the TV ?

daveh75

Qed airloc's are a type of crimp on banana plug used to terminate speaker cables, see here.that need to be fitted by dealers.

For a 5.1 set up you will normally need 20 plugs, 2 at each end of each speaker cable. but some of the style speakers dont accept plugs and you just use bare wire to connect, so in that case you would only use 10 plugs, 2 at one end of each cable and bare wire the other end.

As for how much cable, only you can answer that tbh. will depend on speaker placement/cable routing in relation to amp posistioning

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Airlocs are special airtight plugs, favoured by QED and fitted using a special tool, and are designed to prevent any degradation of the bare speaker cable ends over time.

But you don't have to use them: if you can solder, you can fit conventional 4mm (banana) plugs to either end of the speaker cables, or just twist bare wire ends around the binding post terminals on both amplifier and speakers.

If you want to use plugs, you'll need two for each end of each speaker cable, or 20 in total.

You'll also need a subwoofer cable, which is simply a long single interconnect cable with phono plugs on each end. Something like this would be fine.

How much speaker cable do you need? Depends on your room layout, but with 14x14ft the longest run is likely to only be 15m or so - say from a receiver in one corner all the way round the room to the furthest rear speaker - so I reckon you could probably do all you need to do with 30-40m.

Best thing to do is pace it out around the room, at about one pace equalling one metre, then add on a little more to allow for errors and for tidying things away - say 5m or so.

If you buy cable 'off the reel' for this, then cut the longest runs first - much simpler to have to buy an extra couple of metres for the shortest run if you've miscalculated, rather than finding you don't have enough for the long runs.

Best place for the sub is neither behind the TV or behind the sofa, but rather somewhere it can 'breathe'. It can be close to a wall, but avoid placing it in a corner if you can, or the bass will become overblown and flabby.

One tip is to place the subwoofer where you'll be sitting, hook it up and then play the receiver bass test tone through it. Walk around the room until you hear the most powerful bass, and you're standing at roughly the best place to locate the subwoofer.

Hope all that helps...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts