How valuable is a warranty?

Romain

Mar 15, 2020
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've finally decided to buy a pair of high quality speakers, and my choice goes to the KEF LS 50 Wireless (active) for various reasons. I am currently living in the US and I'll be moving back to Europe in two months - and am facing a difficult choice:

1. Buying the speakers in the US, for 2000 USD, including the stands (value of ~500 USD), with a 1y warranty not valid outside of the US (basically valid for 2 months)
  2. Buying the the speakers in Europe for 2550 USD, without the stands, with a 2y warranty

How valuable is that 2y warranty ? How much would a repair typically cost ? Could I use a third party for the repair (instead of KEF?) How unique/proprietary are the components?

Note those are active speakers, which I understand increases the risk of issue.
Thanks!
Romain

Jimboo

Have had them for just over a year (no issues) . The apps are dreadful, you need to know this. I bought mine from Peter Tyson with an extended warranty of five years. It is a little ambiguous in it's description of what is covered.5 years on speakers and two years on electronic products. It is of course both. They are a very good company , finance is available as well , mine was interest free. I would buy them in the UK.

Dom

Interesting. How will you move the speakers over to Europe? Stands are a big deal. Guess it's up to you. I don't know the best course of action. Probably buy in the states.

D

Deleted member 108165

Buy them where they are cheapest then and don't worry about the warranty as it'll probably exclude the most important parts.

Reactions: Al ears
D

Deleted member 116933

In all honesty why buy something that your going to have to pay to be moved and potentially damage and/or loose them god forbid. Not to mention your buying them so close to moving you may actually have to declare them anyhow. So any potential savings will be lost container or not and that more likely to be checked. Just buy when you're settled and you can return with the receipt if needed to local dealer/shop. If anything where to happen it would be in the first year anyhow. The warranty isn't really worth the scratch its written on but the receipt gives you loads of options and rights.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts