How to play Ipod on my cd player?

gsyx123

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
What is the best way to play my Ipod Classic thru my Denon M31 player? My wife wants to buy one for my birthday, but i don't know what to ask for. I have read about the Arcam Rdock, and obviously there is theuniversal dock from Apple, but does any one know of a better method? Would really like it to charge the ipod as well.

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, technically you only really need a standard 3.5mm to RCA phono cable to connect your iPod up to your M31, but (ignoring sound quality for a second) the docks have the advantage that, as you say, most will also charge your player, in some cases you'll get a remote control and also it looks a lot tidier.

Arcam's rDock is well rated within WHF, has all the above benefits, plus a video output and also that it won't continue charging the battery once it's fully charged (which can cause the battery life to reduce if done a lot). The big disadvantage of course is the price (generally about £150).

The one from Apple offers everything except for the charging benefit of the rDock for only £30- £35 - however I haven't heard the rDock to say how much better it sounds.

Have a look here to see the various docks WHF have rated.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Pretty much any dock on the market will charge the Ipod. If you have the budget, then something like the R-dock will sound great.

A lot of docks use a cable that goes from 3.5mm jack on the dock end to RCA's on the stereo end. These sound poo. Try and get one which has RCA connections on the dock. My first dock had these and sounded great. It was about £40 from Comet or Dixons.

idc

Hi gsyx123. This will not charge your ipod, but it will give you the best sound (according to Apple) and since it by passes the ipod's volume, you only need to set the Denon's volume.....GQ-24. My classic will last 4 hours before it needs to recharge.

A

Anonymous

I can second idc's idea I also use the GQ-24 into a pro-ject headbox 2 then via phono's to my amp.so I can then listen in peace or share/upset the wife with what I'm playing.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
There's also the Denon Dock ASD-r11? I think (there's one listed in my bio..!)

The only issue is, that while you can use the remote to control the iPod, it's painfully slow (I ended up disconnecting the link-line, and just using the click wheel). And I would advise upgrading the interconnects too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts