How to get perfect signal from pc into a dac (what to buy)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
JohnKK said:
Well I cannot argue on that as I didnt hear that difference, this is what I heard and in theory it make sense to me.

I am an electronical engeneer by education myself and must say that from my knowledge there should not be any difference in USB cables.

But I will not argue one way or the other until I sit down in front of a high end system, swap few USB cables and hear it for myself.

BTW there are people that is stating that all amp sounds the same, same as that mp3 128 and 24/96 res files sounds the same, but for this I know it is wrong as I can clearly hear the difference every day when I an listening at home. ;)

If you want to test for yourself, I would recommend trying:

- Vertere D-Fi USB

- Clearer Audio Copper-Line mains cable (60 day trial period)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
andyjm said:
I was not suggesting that the original cable could be bettered. I was just pointing out that if the cable was to be changed, then the new cable's electrical paramters may impact the sound as in this case the USB cable doesn't just carry data, but also the supply rails for the DAC.

Yes, but my point being that all cables should conform to a specification and therefore have a minimum performance, USB cables being no exception. Obviously there will be some super cheap examples that are effectively dodgy knock offs.

All quality cables need to do is to carry a signal/s at specification, at and beyond this point, no differences should exist, if there are differences, the specification is not met somehow.

Also, any signal required by the USB device is limited by the bus design specification and this is the real limitation. The cable merely needs to meet this relatively low and simple demand.

I am not disagreeing with your theoretical points, just the level at which the issues would be apparent in a practical and every day implementation.

JohnKK

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
English is my 2nd language.

Nevertheless, I am sure that you understood what I ment.

Regarding powering DAC over USB influencing SQ - in theory yes, it could have an impact, but untill I listen it for myself cannot say does it make audiable difference of not.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
JohnKK said:
I am an electronical engeneer by education myself and must say that from my knowledge there should not be any difference in USB cables.

But I will not argue one way or the other until I sit down in front of a high end system, swap few USB cables and hear it for myself.

That is the sensible way to approach it. :clap:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts