How to get best out of my Blu Ray?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just bought a Panasonic BD50 Blu Ray player.  The problem being, the player has Dolby True HD Decoding yet my amp does not have HDMI inputs.  Now, I cannot afford to upgrade my amp to accommodate for this, but I want to make sure that I get the best sound possible.  I currently have the Blu Ray connected via Coax, is there a better way that I can get the optimal performance or have I got it set up the best way possible?  PLEASE HELP!

A

Anonymous

Sorry, forgot to mention is was a Denon 1907 amp, hope this helps.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
devo18uk:Sorry, forgot to mention is was a Denon 1907 amp, hope this helps.

Get three pairs of stereo interconnects and connect the multi channel out on the BD player to your receiver. You will get HD audio this way.

nads

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/245167.aspx was it not answered here?

you are certainly trying all the fora for an answer allready given http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/245774.aspx

emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Sorry I didn't quite understand the last answer, I needed it in simpler terms. ÿI'm a bit of a dumbass

A

Anonymous

Sorry, I didn't quite understand the other answer, I'm not the brightest ;)

ÿ

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
No worries, if you don't know the terminology, it can all be a bit baffling. In case you're not sure, basically the BD50 has 6 multi-channel outputs on the back which I think are on the far right of the player and are labelled Audio Out and then each one will be labelled for each speaker i.e. Front Left, Front Right, Center, Rear Left, Rear Right and Subwoofer. You should also have corresponding inputs on your Denon amp so you merely hook these up as Gerrard says with 6 standard RCA phono leads.

You can then set the Blu-Ray player to decode onboard and output the sound over the multichannel outputs and set your amp to the multi-channel input and you should then get HD audio. This is because the standard optical and coaxial outputs aren't able to send the full HD audio soundtracks out as there isn't enough bandwidth. However, by setting it to decode onboard and export via analogue, you can get this.

Let us know if you need any further help.

EDIT - looking at a pic of the back of the Denon 1907, it looks like the multichannel inputs are on the bottom left, labelled EXT. IN and then corresponding letter(s) for each speaker. The Denon actually has 8 inputs (for 7.1 signals) so you don't need the SBR and SBL inputs which are for the surround back speakers present in a 7.1 system. Since the Panasonic only has 5.1 output, you can't use these, but that doesn't really matter since there are very few native 7.1 soundtracks anyway.

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for all of your help, just got the task now of getting some Phono leads now, which by the looks of it are gonna set me back a few quid. ÿOh well, here it goes.

A

Anonymous

Nice to follow this discussion. Prof hat, are you saying that we will get exactly the same sound quality (true HD quality) by doing this?

A

Anonymous

professorhat:
No worries, if you don't know the terminology, it can all be a bit baffling. In case you're not sure, basically the BD50 has 6 multi-channel outputs on the back which I think are on the far right of the player and are labelled Audio Out and then each one will be labelled for each speaker i.e. Front Left, Front Right, Center, Rear Left, Rear Right and Subwoofer. You should also have corresponding inputs on your Denon amp so you merely hook these up as Gerrard says with 6 standard RCA phono leads.

You can then set the Blu-Ray player to decode onboard and output the sound over the multichannel outputs and set your amp to the multi-channel input and you should then get HD audio. This is because the standard optical and coaxial outputs aren't able to send the full HD audio soundtracks out as there isn't enough bandwidth. However, by setting it to decode onboard and export via analogue, you can get this.

EDIT - looking at a pic of the back of the Denon 1907, it looks like the multichannel inputs are on the bottom left, labelled EXT. IN and then corresponding letter(s) for each speaker. The Denon actually has 8 inputs (for 7.1 signals) so you don't need the SBR and SBL inputs which are for the surround back speakers present in a 7.1 system. Since the Panasonic only has 5.1 output, you can't use these, but that doesn't really matter since there are very few native 7.1 soundtracks anyway.

Right then, this could take a while.

I've got my Phono leads and got them all hooked up FR/FR, FL/FL etc but now comes the difficult bit of setting it up.

I've got the following 4 options when it comes to the sound setup on the blu ray:

Dynamic Range Compression - On, off or Auto

Digital Audio output - This has a sub menu which consists of Priority setting which is either Secondary Audio, Audio Quality or User

PCM Down Conversion - On or Off

Downmix - Stereo or surround encoded

Where do I go from here?

And I can't even begin to find out where to change the Amp to play the Analogue input.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Just found the Connection menu and this has given me the following options for speaker setup:

Multi-Channel or 2-channel. ÿWhen I go into the Multi-Channel Setup it lets me adjust what speakers I have, delay in ms and change the db for each speaker, then test it and complete. Is this where I need to be or am I barking up the wrong tree here?ÿ

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
devo18uk:professorhat:

Right then, this could take a while.

I've got my Phono leads and got them all hooked up FR/FR, FL/FL etc but now comes the difficult bit of setting it up.

I've got the following 4 options when it comes to the sound setup on the blu ray:

Dynamic Range Compression - On, off or Auto

Digital Audio output - This has a sub menu which consists of Priority setting which is either Secondary Audio, Audio Quality or User

PCM Down Conversion - On or Off

Downmix - Stereo or surround encoded

Where do I go from here?

And I can't even begin to find out where to change the Amp to play the Analogue input.ÿ

On your receiver (and I'm going by the 1908 here as I can't find the 1907 manual) you need to change the input mode to EXT IN.

On the Pana settings. You need the Speaker to show Multi Channel and the hdmi audio output needs to be set to OFF.

Your other audio options should be set to Auto for Dynamic Range, Digital Audio - OFF. PCM Down Conversion - OFF and Downmix - Surround.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
devo18uk:
Just found the Connection menu and this has given me the following options for speaker setup:

Multi-Channel or 2-channel. ÿWhen I go into the Multi-Channel Setup it lets me adjust what speakers I have, delay in ms and change the db for each speaker, then test it and complete. Is this where I need to be or am I barking up the wrong tree here?ÿ

No, that's what you want.

A

Anonymous

The digital audio output doesn't have an 'off' option, it just lets you set the priority setting to secondary audio, audio quality or user preference?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
kweq:Nice to follow this discussion. Prof hat, are you saying that we will get exactly the same sound quality (true HD quality) by doing this?

I can't say it will be exactly the same since it's using the DAC onboard the Blu-Ray player rather than the one in the amp, but you will certainly be getting the HD audio soundtrack.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts