How to get 24bit music to my dac

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Right,I have a shiny new Simaudio Moon 300d DAC which is capable of handling higher bitrates than the standard 16 of cd rips.I don`t actually have any 24 bit music at the moment but would like to try some so my question is how would I get said music to the Dac? In my current set up I use an Airport Express to stream from my laptop but I understand that is limited to 16 bit. I really like the AE and have set up a purely music network (no internet access) so is there anything that would do similar but be able to handle 24 bit audio? Suppose the ideal solution for me would be if Apple brought out a 24 bit capable AE but don`t know if there are any plans to do this.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the reply John

Would I be right in thinking that the Squeezebox would connect to my music network,imaginatively called "Music" and then plug into the dac via optical as the AEX does now? i.e the Squeezebox does not create its own network like the AEX so I would need to keep the AEX switched on but not directly connected to the Dac.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
basshound:Right,I have a shiny new Simaudio Moon 300d DAC which is capable of handling higher bitrates than the standard 16 of cd rips.I don`t actually have any 24 bit music at the moment but would like to try some so my question is how would I get said music to the Dac?

In my current set up I use an Airport Express to stream from my laptop but I understand that is limited to 16 bit. I really like the AE and have set up a purely music network (no internet access) so is there anything that would do similar but be able to handle 24 bit audio? Suppose the ideal solution for me would be if Apple brought out a 24 bit capable AE but don`t know if there are any plans to do this.

Wait until you hear 24bit through your DAC, it's amazing through the Dacmagic.

A

Anonymous

basshound:Thanks for the reply John Would I be right in thinking that the Squeezebox would connect to my music network,imaginatively called "Music" and then plug into the dac via optical as the AEX does now? i.e the Squeezebox does not create its own network like the AEX so I would need to keep the AEX switched on but not directly connected to the Dac.

Squeezebox does not create own network - it uses you existing network. Squeezebox will first connect to your wireless router SSID (either wireless or ethernet), you then point it at your Squeezserver SW, and then at your music folder. Take a look at the Squeezebox Touch which is superior to SB Duet. The Squeezebox can plug into DAC via optical, although it's own internal DAC supports 24 bit and is pretty good by most acounts and in my own experience.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
another vote for squeezebox here. either duet or touch - it is very nice. Some points to keep in mind though:

- if you want it to play from your itunes library (playlists etc) you will need to install so called squeezebox server on your pc

- sb will not play drm protected files from itunes store (if you have any)

- if your wireless network is not very strong you may experience interruptions, a bit more likely with hirez music. if so, all is not lost - either connect sb via ethermnet cable or via a pair of ethernet-over-power adapters (homeplugs).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts