How to connect sky+ to AV Receiver

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just purchased a new AV Amp/receiver (Denon 4308) and i want to connect my sky + box to it, what would be the best way to connect to get the most out of the amp.

A

Anonymous

I believe that you will need to connect your skybox with an optical cable.

daveh75

Connect the Sky+ box via scart to tv for picture,and via optical digital to reciever for DD 5.1 sound(where available). That's assuming it's standard def Sky+ you're talking about and not Sky+HD

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
daveh75:Connect the Sky+ box via scart to tv for picture,and via optical digital to reciever for DD 5.1 sound(where available). That's assuming it's standard def Sky+ you're talking about and not Sky+HD

Doesn't matter, other than connecting SkyHD to the TV by HDMI and not SCART, you still need the optical cable for DD as Sky only pass stereo down the HDMI.

daveh75

the_lhc:

daveh75:Connect the Sky+ box via scart to tv for picture,and via optical digital to reciever for DD 5.1 sound(where available). That's assuming it's standard def Sky+ you're talking about and not Sky+HD

Doesn't matter, other than connecting SkyHD to the TV by HDMI and not SCART, you still need the optical cable for DD as Sky only pass stereo down the HDMI.
Well aware of the hdmi/sound issue's with sky. What i was getting at is that if it's a standard def Sky+ box the best you'll get picture wise is by connecting direct to tv via scart

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
col27:
I Would agree with the optical cable to obtain DD

Pic Option i have Sky+ in one of my rooms and hae it connected to one of the attached

I Think the pic is slightly better than just scart to scart connection?

http://www.hificables.co.uk/11309/Qed-QCV-SCART-to-Component-Video-converter.html

I'll be honest and say I don't think you would get £85 more picture using that - the sky+ signal is RGB at best, so the only effect you might be getting is transferring the component signals through a better cable than the scart is. Or to put it another way, you would probably get the same result from a premium scart cable with a lot less mess behind the telly...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
mark8par:I have just purchased a new AV Amp/receiver (Denon 4308) and i want to connect my sky + box to it, what would be the best way to connect to get the most out of the amp.

I disagree with the other posters. Connect your 4308 to your Sky + box using S Video and the Denon will upscale the picture - forget scart completely. You will need an optical cable from Sky to Denon for Dolby 5.1.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
mark8par:I have just purchased a new AV Amp/receiver (Denon 4308) and i want to connect my sky + box to it, what would be the best way to connect to get the most out of the amp.

I disagree with the other posters. Connect your 4308 to you Sky + box using S Video and the Denon will upscale the picture - forget scart completely. You will need an optical cable from Sky to Denon for Dolby 5.1.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, someone must have left that echo unit on. It's turned off now...
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:mark8par:I have just purchased a new AV Amp/receiver (Denon 4308) and i want to connect my sky + box to it, what would be the best way to connect to get the most out of the amp. I disagree with the other posters. Connect your 4308 to you Sky + box using S Video and the Denon will upscale the picture - forget scart completely. You will need an optical cable from Sky to Denon for Dolby 5.1.

I only base my response on what I have read before, but I believe what you gain in scaling from your Denon, will be lost in the first instance by using the s-video connection. Scart is the way to go.

Besides, an HD tv will upscale anyway.

I stand to be corrected however.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
BluMonday:
Gerrardasnails:mark8par:I have just purchased a new AV Amp/receiver (Denon 4308) and i want to connect my sky + box to it, what would be the best way to connect to get the most out of the amp. I disagree with the other posters. Connect your 4308 to you Sky + box using S Video and the Denon will upscale the picture - forget scart completely. You will need an optical cable from Sky to Denon for Dolby 5.1.

I only base my response on what I have read before, but I believe what you gain in scaling from your Denon, will be lost in the first instance by using the s-video connection. Scart is the way to go.

Besides, an HD tv will upscale anyway.

I stand to be corrected however.

The 4308 is a monster of a receiver and by bypassing it to use a scart cable instead of the slightly lesser S Video cable is a waste in my opinion. At least try it with both and see. I think scart from anything to plasma or LCD is not the best. By feeding the high end Denon receiver and asking it to do it's thing before sending it through an hdmi to the screen will surely be worthwhile. I think there was a poster on here last week who did the same with the, not in the same class, Onkyo 876 and they said that the S Video way gave much better images.

A

Anonymous

Hi there I'm new here and found this thread using Google.

I also have a Denon 4308 and want to try connecting Sky+ (non HD) directly to the 4308 as advised above. However, I can't get the picture to appear on my screen - sound is fine.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Is there a particular setting on my Sky+ box or Denon 4308 that I need to change? I'm using an S-Video link.

Any help much appreciated!

Ed

A

Anonymous

Anyone got any ideas here? It's been suggested to me that the Sky box doesn't support S-video from the Scart output (I'm using a Scart to S-Video + audio lead). Anyone else found this?

A

Anonymous

I guess nobody here knows, but in case someone reads this thread and wonders what the answer to my question was, I have found from another forum that the SCART out from the Sky box does not support S-Video. So I have switched to a SCART / component lead which has fixed the problem.

Oh and thanks for the welcome
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts