How to add digital streaming to my existing analogue system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Oh for gods sake Al don't make this any harder than it need to be , ask your 15 year old nephew.
Be very careful........ I don't have a fifteen year old nephew.
The idea that streaming is the be all and end all simply isn't relevant to all whatever you may think.
Um , why do you need a WiFi connection for download compiled playlists?
streaming is a lot simpler than ripping or the absurdity of leaving physical copies in the attic and then buying a storage solution when none is needed. Given the fact you are in a car you are not going to be using speakers that will give you fantastic sound quality are you.
It's happening chaps the unavoidable fact that soon everything will be available to stream in cd quality or higher and it will be available from one hand held pocket sized device that pairs with your car stereo, active speaker or old style hifi , actually it's already available
unlimited data , WiFi etc bye bye cables ,collections , Nas etc. Just the ability to type or ask your app and bingo!
I will stick with my records because I am old and I will play c.d because I have so many.
You clearly don't understand the difference between streaming and downloading.
Anyhow, back to the OPs question.....

Jimboo

No Al , you simply don't understand how streaming apps work, you can download your content or stream your content and stream your downloaded content and make playlists from your downloaded content and you don't need a Nas, just a phone or tablet. All using your app.from ONE device. Just to reiterate you can stream and download. So you need to understand that you clearly have not understood the concept.As soon as that penny drops then you hopefully will have less inclination to carry on arguing a point and a fact that you either choose to ignore or you are just arguing.
As for the OP. Use your smartphone and buy a Bluetooth speaker for motorhome and the dinner table in the garden. You can then spend fifty quid on the streamer from Amazon.
Or you can spend a fortune on a naim product for the home if you feel the need to spend money

RichD1

Aug 23, 2020
Visit site
OK, say I go for an S10, I presume I still need to access the music files on the NAS via a smartphone/tablet/computer by Plex or similar. Whereas full blown streamers from Naim, NAD and Arcam have their own control system?

D

Deleted member 188516

The point is that you have your music collection at your disposal without having to go to your collection, get the disc out of the case, start the CD player etc. All our CDs are in my iTunes library. We can use iPhones and iPads as a remote control for the library. The music is on an external hard drive of the Mac mini in another room. The music is streamed via Airplay to our Yamaha Network receiver. We also have a Logitech remote hub to control all audio/video equipment in the living room.

The only music left near our listening spot are our LPs, SACDs, DVD-As and BDs. All our CDs are in boxes, stored in the attic.

Another advantage of ripping CDs is that you can transfer the files to a phone or other music player. That works great with CarPlay in the car.

+1.

D

Deleted member 188516

It‘s simple, the word is convenience. We have a motorhome so like to take our music with us. If we sit down to listen to music then it’s thro’ vinyl or CD but when it’s background say over a meal or for a party the ability to create a playlist Is brilliant. When the weather is good like it has been over the past 3 or 4 months then we like to eat and entertain outside and this is where the Bose comes in.

Regarding budget it rather depends on what quality the product is to match the existing sound through the Naim. But I would say up to £1000 for a DAC or around £2000 for an all-in-one system like the products from Naim. But I would prefer to maintain my NAC62/NAP140.

Richard

+1.

D

Deleted member 188516

Yeah but you can create playlists on,..................
Ah, forget it. If there is a way of spending money on more boxes and formats etc it just feels more , audiophile.

how friendly...

D

Deleted member 188516

In a motor home you're not actually gonna get a good WiFi connection.
Streaming is Not the be all and end all.
I occasionally like to listen to music in my car as well.....

+1.

D

Deleted member 188516

It gives me more options. I've done it purely out of laziness, convenience and a wish to keep my CDP in a working condition as long as possible. I like my current CD collection, and I also like my CDP immensely - it does see some use for classical or SACD playback. Personally I don't find streaming sites very convenient.

+1.

D

Deleted member 188516

Quite, I have said on here numerous times that Linn and naim etc, etc are all making streaming app based hifi . If that doesn't prove that the old ways are on their way out I don't know what does.
As usual the rippers have done little to convince me of the value of their efforts.

and why do they have to convince you ?!

D

Deleted member 188516

But you are now right?
The idea that streaming is the be all and end all simply isn't relevant to all whatever you may think.

+1.

D

Deleted member 188516

the op is a new forum member.
i bet he wonders why he bothered joining...

D

Deleted member 188516

Another very good argument for having your own physical copies is that you don't have to rely on poor remasters on streaming services if you can find pre loudness wars CDs.

+1.

Gray

OK, say I go for an S10, I presume I still need to access the music files on the NAS via a smartphone/tablet/computer by Plex or similar. Whereas full blown streamers from Naim, NAD and Arcam have their own control system?
The S10 has its own dedicated control app.
The make of its internal DAC seems to be a mystery - but it makes a sound that people like and that's what matters.
At the price it must be worth a try (I reckon they'd sell quite a few more if it had digital out).

A streamer I've liked the look of since V1 came out in 2015, is the Cambridge CXN, now in V2 form - far from inexpensive, but not as ridiculously priced as some streamers are.
Another option, albeit without its own screen, is the popular Bluesound Node.
And how about the NAD M33 I mentioned earlier? - but maybe you're happy with the amp you've got - so just need their M10.
Like I said, no shortage of choices for you, ranging from bargain to stupid prices.

I currently use Raspberry Pi / Khadas Toneboard, controlled by Volumio - not much to look at but excellent sound / value.....and small enough to hide away if you don't wanna look at it (or you're snobby about what others think).

Last edited:

record_spot

Have a look at the S10 manual on the Arylic site. I don't use a hard drive or NAS, but Spotify, Tidal and ripped FLAC files on my phone. That's about 200Gb, so plenty of room for me.

jjbomber

Yes, but you could buy a decent smartphone to just use as a remote control and still be way below your budget. You use Arylic's own app, 4Stream, to access the files on the NAS.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts