How things have changed

A

Anonymous

It's only a 2.1 passive system to those surround sound blokes. The rest of us know's it's STEREO. 2.1 seems derogatory to me. A way for salespeople to make surround sound seem like a better choice. It is 3 more afterall.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:A pair of speakers is now a 2.1 passive system.

Thoughts?

You shouldn't be drinking this early in the day....bad sign mate :)

A

Anonymous

fr0g:Surely 2.1 is stereo + subwoofer.

it was last time i checked

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I was just commenting on the new jargon since the advent of an internet and Tunes of i, and wireless soundcard portable music download mp3 (or is it mp4) gizmos.

Just get a bloomin' CD player, amp (or two), speakers and some thick cables and listen to a proper stereo rather than all this tinny rubbish.

A

Anonymous

As I understand it, there is a big move away from 5.1 systems, even in the States where people have more space. People are shifting towards what is referred to as 2.1 systems that comprise of a stereo pair and a Subwoofer. This is because it sounds better, it distributes the sound more evenly over the listening area and it suits older or deafer people better because they can more easily focus on the source of the sound. Others just find multiple sound sources make them jumpy.

We make one and are about to introduce another and they do sound much better than a stereo pair for music. The secret is in understanding what it takes to get the Sub to merge seamlessly. In the past reviews have lavished praise on roaring booming horrors because they were considered good for movies. They might be, but they b---r up Music.

Ash

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:I was just commenting on the new jargon since the advent of an internet and Tunes of i, and wireless soundcard portable music download mp3 (or is it mp4) gizmos.

Just get a bloomin' CD player, amp (or two), speakers and some thick cables and listen to a proper stereo rather than all this tinny rubbish.

The advent of the internet was during the 1960s and even the World Wide Web is celebrating it's 20th birthday next year. Hardly new.

Your 'bloomin' CD player technology is a bit 'new fangled' as well. Interesting to see that the development of what became MP3 and development of Compact Disc both started around 1979.

Maybe it should be... "Just get a bloomin, radiogram". (A nice one with a backlit tuning dial with Home service and the Light programme and Kalundburg and Radio Luxemburg".)

A

Anonymous

The only problem I have with current industry terminology, is awful products passing as "hi-fi". There should be a required standard of true-to-the-original (sorry my brain's vocab is dead today) music production for a product to pass as hi-fi.

ps. 'Though today I put the Bose SoundDock between my speakers and I was quite impressed by its timing and brilliant transients, although bass was poor and it clips erratically quite early on (say 105db).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:The only problem I have with current industry terminology, is awful products passing as "hi-fi". There should be a required standard of true-to-the-original (sorry my brain's vocab is dead today) music production for a product to pass as hi-fi.

It used to be called DIN 45500

Also BBC Research & Development defined a lot of what became industry standards (especially with various sizes of stereo loudspeakers.)

Here is a BBC RD paper (14 page PDF) from 1961 where they devised an acceptable procedure for evaluating stereo systems....

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1961-01.pdf

A

Anonymous

Chebby, If I were you, I would ask WHFS&V right now whether they have any technical sound jobs available...!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
You've got two choices really...either embrace change or live in the past. Not all new things are bad.

If it's the nomenclature that gets your goat...well I can understand that.

I find "snuck" particularly annoying (although unrelated to hifi).

A

Anonymous

I miss the days I had a really good CD system. Since I moved house my floorstanders and amp have had to go and have been replaced by wall mounted style speakers and a surround amp, good and expensive as they are they aren't a patch on my old kit for stereo.
Trouble is I watch more stuff than listen to music so something had to give space wise.........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts