how speaker cones work

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi again,

sorry for maybe stupid post but I noticed something today after having bought a cd I really like which is Just Guitars by "All Standard Guitars" and I would like if that's normal and especially the reason why this happens.

I was looking at the RX6 white cones and in a specific song I noticed they vibrate and move MUCH more than any other song (also same type, acoustic guitar). At normal listening level, almost all songs produce a moviment of speaker cones which is almost not visible.

This specific song (Here comes the sun) at this specific moment, on the other hand, made them move so much than attracted my attention from far. So wondering...is that normal? Why a particular song can be so different frm any other?

This is the link to short video of my left speaker's cones! :rockout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDY_0x-SlCM&feature=g-upl&context=G23c5defAUAAAAAAAAAA

Thanks

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
kevinJ said:
Normally, the lower the frequency, the more they move. But it's also dependant of speaker power rating and the actual power fed to the speaker.

Short answer, yes it's normal.

And you ain't seen nothing yet....

RS8 abuse on youtube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vXj8TYDNqA

Ahaha, ok, now I have seen it all! :)

Thats wayyyy more than mines! Love the cat also ;)

Just tried same song and it makes the same effect...well maybe a bit less than that!! :)

A

Anonymous

Very interesting (I miss my RX6's :doh: )

BTW your squat technique looks ok byut try to learn to unlock your hips before you go down; that way you'll have a much straighter back when you come back up). Also slow it down a little at the bottom; you're firing out too fast and pushing your upper body forward... (BTW I compete in powerlifting/weightlifting and have squatted 285kg raw (i.e. no belt etc...) in case you were wondering... ;)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
hifilover1979 said:
Very interesting (I miss my RX6's :doh: )

BTW your squat technique looks ok byut try to learn to unlock your hips before you go down; that way you'll have a much straighter back when you come back up). Also slow it down a little at the bottom; you're firing out too fast and pushing your upper body forward... (BTW I compete in powerlifting/weightlifting and have squatted 285kg raw (i.e. no belt etc...) in case you were wondering... ;)

Ahaha, from what you said I knew straight away you know your stuff :)
The last video was indeed not one of my best squats. I was indeed too fast and my knees were moving too forward ;)

Thanks for the advice. I am also starting power lifting and hope to do some competitions also...unfortunately I started too late (at the age of 30) but I will do my best to squat 200 as soon as I can ;)

285 raw that is some serious squat :)

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
If you own the film score or spotify then try Why So Serious? - Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard, specficially the first low note about three and a half minutes in :shifty:

Aside from the obvious factors such as low frequencies at higher volumes I don't think there are any other causes for excessive excursion?

Also, kevinJ - your cat seems pretty impressed..

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Cpt.Issues said:
If you own the film score or spotify then try Why So Serious? - Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard, specficially the first low note about three and a half minutes in :shifty:

Aside from the obvious factors such as low frequencies at higher volumes I don't think there are any other causes for excessive excursion?

I don't really see any excusrion listening to this song...the one in the video makes a nice effect (I love basses)

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Cpt.Issues said:

I don't have a cat. It's not my film, just one of the millions out there that "test" their speakers with that particular song. I don't like it when people abuse their gear like that. If that guy turned the volume up to, lets say, 12'o clock, the speakers would have reached their max voice coil overhang. Great for destroying speakers, that song.

I'll check the dark knight ost tomorrow. I have the cd, but never really looked at the speakers when it was playing.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
edit: double post because I had to type in the code on the bottom of the screen, and then nothing happened.
Can a mod please turn that thing of for me?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts