How Sony could easily create some incremental revenue.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Heres a really daft idea.

As Sony has the firmware for PS3 to play PS2 games (as old 60gb) why not sell the firmware plus a spent game for £10 over PSN. Little outlay big opportunity.

Simple's!

A

Anonymous

The old 60gb ps3 contained a hardware component which allowed it to play ps2 games. This was removed in later versions to reduce costs. The later versions of the ps3 could never play ps2 games.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

My understanding from other forums was this:

quote:
40gb cant play ps2 games. its better to try to find a 60gb because it has the emotion chip and plays ps2 better than the 80gb which uses software instead to play ps2 games.really though the 80gb is fine.

Surely in this world of Emulation everything it may be possible even if the above is false.

You're spot on though early versions contained the 'Emotion Chip' from PS2.

Just placed in the hope that somebody useful from Sony may see and actually consider it a possibility.

Paul.

This isn't strictly true, the EU version of the PS3 fat did not have the emotion engine, and the games were emulated, so I don't see why enabling it for a fee would not be possible. Pacific PS3s all had the hardware at launch. I think Sony would rather you not have access to your games, so you have to re-buy them!

Apparently Sony save $27 cutting the hardware, I assume this was due to higher taxes in the EU?

http://digital-lifestyles.info/2007/02/23/european-ps3-no-emotion-engine-ps2-compatibility-limited/

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
As well as needing the Emotion Engine (EE) for compatability the Graphics Synthesiser (GS) was also needed.

PS3's in Europe never had the EE but the fat model did have the GS giving some PS2 compatability but not 100%. So you'd have to write extra emulation to cover the missing GS.

It would be difficult to charge for something that doesnt work 100%.

Also if you have PS2 games - then you probably have a PS2 (unless it broke - like mine did)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts