How much spaghetti can you stomach?

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Just been playing with Flickr.com and.....

3938103482_48d27c5630.jpg

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
I got totaly fed up with the rats nest so i did this.

hifi016.jpg

Out of sight out of mind. My pre and cdp hide the board fixings nicely. No big deal if i need to get at the spaghetti behind it,tis only power cords. All it consists of is 2 uprights and a slab of mdf,job done.

roten

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Have tried to keep the cable lengths as short as possible and put the cables for Sky dish, subwoofer and rear speakers under the floor

3937505615_151ca89424.jpg

northantsbloke34

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
roten:
Have tried to keep the cable lengths as short as possible and put the cables for Sky dish, subwoofer and rear speakers under the floor

3937505615_151ca89424.jpg

Glad
its not just my hifi thats got a layer of dust underneath it! lol, but how does it get there!!!! grrrrrrrrrr

idc

Gusboll, are you sure all of those cables are actually doing something? I helped a friend with his spagehetti problem and we managed to remove 5 or 6 cables that were no longer doing anything!

northantsbloke34

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
lol sorry roten didn't mean to nit pick!. My wife dusted our tv stand (black glass shelves) on monday and by thursdays it was covered in dust again!. I blame my two toddlers, too much running around lol

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:Dust is a pain. Try keeping dust away in a shop full of TVs and black glass stands. Particularly in the window display, you dust one minute and within an hour its terrible again!!

...Well that's what you tell the boss when he starts to moan eh?

;-)

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
idc:

Gusboll, are you sure all of those cables are actually doing something? I helped a friend with his spagehetti problem and we managed to remove 5 or 6 cables that were no longer doing anything!

Yep! The Cyrus AV Master adds to the al dente mix!

Bad Brains - Build a Nation

A

Anonymous

FWIW I too have this problem, only mine is with the mains cables mostly. I have eleven, going on twelve, Cyrus units, plus a turntable, all needing "plugging in". You used to be able to buy miniture (sp) mains strips at Currys and the like, where you could take off the bulky 13-amp plugs and use little ones plugged into a strip that had a pukka power cable and 13-amp plug on the end. These seem to have diaspapeared from the shops, however, so I'm actually toying with the idea of buying a domestic house fusebox and wiring that up on the back of my rack instead. Although it's a mess at the moment, I usually cable tie all the power cables together down one side of the rack, behind a leg or whatever, to keep them as far out of the way as possible, and route everything else as neatly as I can.

To interconnect the boxes themselves, I use Chord Chameleon Silver Plus interconnects mostly, and digging around on Fleabay I found I could buy these in half-metre, rather than full-metre lengths. This help a lot, and I'm sure that since most of the impedance is actually in the plugs and sockets not the cables in between, audio performance hasn't changed a jot.

Speaker cables remain a PITA, especially as I have paired (bulky) Chord Odyssey 4's in matched lengths running to each speaker. I coil up the spare lengths to the near speaker and hide them behind a pot plant.

Oh yeah, and the Cyrus AV8 is going to get moved to sit next to the DVD player on the TV stand and I'll be running "cheap" cables from it to the pre-amp and to wire it into the control bus loop in the near future.

Unless or until someone comes up with an all-digital bus-like interface, or we turn our backs on the multi-box setups of choice, I guess we're all going to face this problem. When (yeah, right) I win the lottery and have my own house built, I'm going to have a little room off the living room where I can hide everything and just have the minimum number of units "poking through" the wall.

Finally, have you ever noticed on the TV commercials that those TVs on the walls never have any leads running to or from them, no satellite receivers, DVD players.... Same reason you never see a TV in a showhouse living room.

A

Anonymous

Update - I went to B&Q on the way to work this am and found some modular lightswitches that'll enable me to wire four mains leads into one box, each with its own switch or fuse (I chose the switch because Cyrus units already have a replaceable fuse in them). Pictures at the weekend.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Darren Heal:
Update - I went to B&Q on the way to work this am and found some modular lightswitches that'll enable me to wire four mains leads into one box, each with its own switch or fuse (I chose the switch because Cyrus units already have a replaceable fuse in them). Pictures at the weekend.

Light switches? Can they handle the current?

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Darren,

Are these Bulgin IEC distribution units what you used to use ?

http://www.bulgin.co.uk/Products/IEC_Connectors/IEC_Distribution_Box-Panel.html

If so, there's a few places on t'internet that sell them. We use them at work on our equipment racks but in 15-20 outlet runs which are custom made.

You can get the Bulgins from Radio Spares but I think you have to have a trade account !

Personally I prefer tagliatelle...

Rob

A

Anonymous

PJPro:Darren Heal:

Light switches? Can they handle the current?

10 amps! At 240 volts that 24 kVA, or about 24 kW (yes, sparkies, I know there is a difference but it's Friday night and I'm too cream crackered to worry about it). That should be good enough, no?

Anyway, I got 'em wired up and when Pat delivers my second set of Chord Chorus interconnects and I've wired 'em up tomorrow I'll post some "before" and "after" pics. I'm fairly pleased.

A

Anonymous

robjcooper:

Darren,

Are these Bulgin IEC distribution units what you used to use ?

http://www.bulgin.co.uk/Products/IEC_Connectors/IEC_Distribution_Box-Panel.html

If so, there's a few places on t'internet that sell them. We use them at work on our equipment racks but in 15-20 outlet runs which are custom made.

You can get the Bulgins from Radio Spares but I think you have to have a trade account !

Personally I prefer tagliatelle...

Rob

Rob

You mean these?

PXD301_140px.jpg

Nope.

What I meant were the really cheap crappy ones you could buy at Argos for a tenner. They had little plugs about a quarter of the volume of a matchbox and you could plug in six units in a row into them. I thimnk they must have got outlawed or something because I haven't seen them in ages.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts