How much of a problem is reflections on a Plasma screen?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Many of you will have been following my saga re changing from LCD to Plasma!

Well I was just about to buy the Panasonic 37X10 when I came across another potential problem and that is reflections!

Although my living room is South facing and doesn't get bright during the day (I also draw the curtains)I did get some reflections on my CRT. Mainly seeing myself on telly during dark scenes!

I thought Plasma wouldn't be as reflective as CRT but have been told it will be worse due to it being a much bigger screen!

Please help as I am getting such a headache and will be sticking with my LCD at this rate. Clouding and all!!!!

A

Anonymous

In direct light it's an issue. When the sun isn't shining through it isn't. It's no worse than the CRT I used to have anyway.

A

Anonymous

Thanks both. Afraid I can't afford a Pio.

So I take it as long as the room isn't bright and I draw the curtains it should be okay?

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Well my 42" Pany plasma is much less reflective than my old 32" Pany crt. And thats with a south facing window with blinds only, you should be fine with curtains.Used to be a nightmare on my old tv in direct light on the blinds, hardly notice it on my plasma. I wasn't expecting that when I bought the 42" plasma.

If your worried about it you could always buy some black out material and attach that to your curtains.

A

Anonymous

Thanks SpiceWeasel.

Hopefully, drawing the blinds will be enough but the black out material is a good idea.

A

Anonymous

My TV is a near 3 year old Panasonic plasma, for the record. The sun is shining through my window now and with the curtains drawn the reflections aren't an issue.

A

Anonymous

alwatson:
My TV is a near 3 year old Panasonic plasma, for the record. The sun is shining through my window now and with the curtains drawn the reflections aren't an issue.

That's great thanks.

A

Anonymous

Eddie Pound:I get reflections on my Panny 42PX80 in the daytime.

Hi Edward

Is that even with your curtains/blinds drawn?

Liz

A

Anonymous

nads:
dont have any probs with mine.

but the screen finish is mattish. (Pio).

I understand Pio's are better at non reflections than some, but my 5090 shows reflections. Thinking of changing around so window (patio doors) is behind it.

I think it's better than my last TV (Hitachi CRT).

A

Anonymous

Scotsgirl:Eddie Pound:I get reflections on my Panny 42PX80 in the daytime.

Hi Edward

Is that even with your curtains/blinds drawn?

Liz

No, only when sunny and curtains open.

It's fine now.

It must just be a strong direct light at certain times of day.

I mostly watch in the evenings, so it's not a problem.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Think we need to get your screen name changed to MissWorryBoots there Liz lol.

But seriously due to the fact that the screen on a Plasma is made of glass there is always a possibilty of some degree of reflection if it be during the day or even at night in a dimly lit room where you may have candles lit ect. But all modern Plasma sets has some sort of anti-reflective tech built into the screen and I have never had any real issues when veiwing mine and definatly no worse than a CRT.

A

Anonymous

D.J.KRIME:
Think we need to get your screen name changed to MissWorryBoots there Liz lol.

But seriously due to the fact that the screen on a Plasma is made of glass there is always a possibilty of some degree of reflection if it be during the day or even at night in a dimly lit room where you may have candles lit ect. But all modern Plasma sets has some sort of anti-reflective tech built into the screen and I have never had any real issues when veiwing mine and definatly no worse than a CRT.

I know!lol

I wouldn't be worried if I had plenty of money but it is a considered purchase.

sntee

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
One of the problems is that in order to achieve greater contrast ratios, the screen needs to be as black as possible to begin with. This can only really be achieved by giving it a high gloss finish.

Any kind of anti-reflective coating tends to make the screen appear grey (like LCD sets).

Plasmas tend to have the edge over LCD's when it comes to contrast ratios and one of the main reasons for this (aside from them not having an "always on" backlight) is that the screens are usually shiny and very black (when switched offÿ
emotion-1.gif
).

ÿThe obvious down side is that this effectively turns them into big mirrors.ÿ

Many of the latest hi spec TV's have sensors which adjust brightness and contrast according to the ambient lighting conditions. This should go some way toward overcoming the issue of reflections as a brighter picture will cancel them out.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

My House is south facing with my 42" pana's back to the bay window, iv a blind that blocks alot of light but during really sunny days when im trying to play xbox can have a small affect but no enough to really be unhappy with, plus most of my viewing is in the evening so there is no problem at'll.

Just go and buy that 37", you will love it.

and it dosn't really bother me but it dose, its pana not panny.

thanks.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
iv... can have a small affect... no problem at'll... and it dosn't really bother me but it dose, its pana not panny.

hmmm, the phrase "open season" springs to mind...

MUST... RESIST... PEDENTRY....

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:

iv... can have a small affect... no problem at'll... and it dosn't really bother me but it dose, its pana not panny.

hmmm, the phrase "open season" springs to mind...

MUST... RESIST... PEDENTRY....

Usually I'd dissaprove, the_lhc, but with that quote...
emotion-2.gif

Anyhoo, Panny/Pana/tomato/tomayto

A

Anonymous

Potayto Potato Let's call the whole thing off!!!

I don't think it looks as if reflections are going to be a big problem.

Thanks folks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts