How much more to spend?

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I have B&W 705 speakers.

My question is how much more would I have to spend to get a speaker which would kill the 705's.?

Also please name some speakers and price?

I was thinking of the Proac response D1's at £1500 but seeing as my speakers were £1100 with their stands should I be looking at even higher priced speakers.

My Kit is all Naim. And its for my bedroom. Approx 5x3mtrs

Dont get me wrong I love 705's but seeing as Im getting a cdx2 would it be holding the cd player back.?

I have a nac122x and Nap150x amps.

Im buying the cdx2 blind as I have a cd5i mk2 - I love the Naim sound signature.

Music taste is Indie,rock,Metal and acoustic.

Your thoughts please.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Wouldnt bother with the speakers, they are good enough, probably to allow up to a 202/200 combo.

Great CDP player by the way, I would upgrade the pre first to 202 before speakers.

Then a good listen to your system once run in to see what you feel may be lacking (if anything), followed by several long months of home demoing. Speakers are the hardest part and most intimate (regarding personal tastes and room acoustics) of any system IMO.

If and when you get to speakers think along the lines of PMC, Neat or Naim which all work well with your kit.

Not mentioned your speaker cable, make sure your using NACA5.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Do UK and German eBay searches for speakers under £900 or even £500 and over the course of 2 or 3 months you'll see quite a few that would kill the 705's. Do a Google search on any that look interesting.

Speaker choice can be a very personal thing. It's all down to what compromises you're happiest with.

I like electrostatics, horns or large sealed boxes. You might prefer something different.

iceman16

TB is right..don't bother to change your speakers at the moment. In my experience with naim-b&w setup which some people don't like(and me)BUT when I upgraded from 122x/150x(fast but bright and thin)to 202/200/hicap2/napsc there was a huge improvement.The music became warm.more body.wider soundstage and a lot easier to listen.The brightness from the 703s treble was surprisingly reduced a lot.I never thought that the 703s can perform absolutely brilliant and sing the way they should.There are lots of s/h classic series naim(202/200) on ebay for a fraction of the original price.I ditched my naca5,standard power cable and interconnect and use chord though.By the way I demo the Spendor A6 with Naim and IMO they can't dig much lower froquency as the 703s.

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
I'd agree more with lindsayt. You can get alot of speaker second hand alot fo which would kill the B&W, but speaker choice is a very personal thing and an improvement to you may well be a change in style rather than the £.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts