how much can £250-£300 get me

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
after christmas i want get a amp for upstairs or get a better s/hand one for downstairs so a few questions lads

1- how much would i have to spend to better my arcam alpha9 amp say brand new (for example marantz pm6003,rotel r04se) are they better, on par, worse in terms of quality

2-i may kick the arcam upstairs and i like the look of the build of the old pioneers sa 8500 and sa 9500 are they any good compared to my arcam.

3- i also like the look of the marantz pm7200 is that any good seen a few float around on ebay.

thanks inadvance

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I feel a little awkward and unsafe replying on an ipad in Birmingham New Street station, but here goes!

he Alpha 9 may not have been the most accurate sounding amplifier, but that didn't stop it from sounding pretty damn good. Along with the 8000a, it dominated the sub £500 bracket, representing the best value for money for beginners due to their upgradability. Paired with the right speakers, this amp will still be top notch, and I think you'd have to be looking at the likes of the Naim Nait 5i as a starting point to replace it, otherwise you're looking at used amplifiers that used to retail for around £1k upwards. Don't be too quick to dismiss it.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
The Marantz PM7200 seems a real beaut according to my favourite user review site. Just had a nosey and one went for £340 on the "Flea" today.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The PM7200 was a cracking amp, and one of my favourite Marantz amps along with the PM17. The Class A option was a nice touch too. The only thing is that the 7200 only retailed for just over £300 new, so paying the same for a used one would put me off a little!

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:The PM7200 was a cracking amp, and one of my favourite Marantz amps along with the PM17. The Class A option was a nice touch too. The only thing is that the 7200 only retailed for just over £300 new, so paying the same for a used one would put me off a little!

Just had another check and it's the guy who keeps saying...."They've had a clear out and found a boxed "new" one in the store room". May be true, but seen a few such descriptions pop up.

T

the record spot

The Pioneer SA9500 would be worth tracking down if you can find one. And as said, the Arcam Alpha 9 was no slouch, so don't dismiss it in too much of a hurry. You could try to add a 9P power amp which also appear from time to time.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i like the amp and it is in a+ nick but i want to build in the next 18,months a second system upstairs. so puzzled if to move it upstairs and upgrade in the next few months or buy one for upstairs if i need to spend close to £700 new to beat it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts