How loud is 1 Watt with an 87db speaker

• Thread starter Deleted member 116933
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 116933

This video popped up in my feed last night thought it would be handy for those that struggle with the numbers on the back of there speakers and what they actually mean.

In a nutshell, it's not about WATTS, you don't need many at all. Watts don't translate to loudness which in the HiFi world is done one of to ways.

think I've inserted this link right. And hopefully not against the rules.

View: https://youtu.be/vaiEDYB5c9M

D

Deleted member 116933

It is and isn't and it depends. It's a number of things that lead to watts, the engineer knows this and even they get caught up in it all.

The guy in my vid explains why "watts" are needed to towards the end but a 20-watt amp is as loud as 100-watts, it doesn't buy volume but control. And this is where the confusion lay. People think WATTS mean louder and that's not the case at all.

it gives headroom and the dynamics, but its only an indication. Not an absolute.

100DB speaker, for instance, doesn't need a 100watts, 20 watts gives them all the headroom they need. As I say depends.

Just thought it was an interesting video

it gives headroom and the dynamics, but its only an indication. Not an absolute.

100DB speaker, for instance, doesn't need a 100watts, 20 watts gives them all the headroom they need. As I say depends.

Just thought it was an interesting video
It is, I agree. As someone who has used a 150 watt amplifier, or thereabouts, in one guise or another since about 1986, I’d definitely always choose more rather than less.
Equally, I’m quite often listening at lowish levels at home, and I doubt I ever approach 95 let alone 100dB.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts