How important are Rear Speakers in HT

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey Forum Members,

I have the Monitor Audio PL300 AV Surround system.

I am thinking of selling my rear speakers and the subwoofer and reinvesting the money into a reference subwoofer and lesser rear speakers. My reason for this is because 2 channel audio is only 10% of my entertainment at the moment but it is my main passion. Sky HD takes up most of my time at the moment [:D].

Subwoofer candidates would be: Paradigm Signature SUB 1 or JL Audio Fathom 212

Rear Speaker Candidates: Monitor Audio RX1's / GS10s / GSFXs

I wanted to know whether people thought this was a good or crazy idea before I start selling things.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The rear speakers might not seem as though they're doing much in the whole mix, but they are adding more accurately portrayed ambience, giving the whole soundfield depth. Compromise on them and you affect that soundfield. Also, when things get going, they can be doing just as much as the front speakers, so it's important that they are capable.

You might get away with the GSFX's, but because the Platinum range use a ribbon tweeter, they may not sound quite as sweet and open as the Platinums.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Depending on your room size it may be a good idea. Getting rid of the surrounds altogether is not wise as they play a very important part in the experience but improving your subwoofer will bring huge gains to the system.

The MA sub is good but it just doesnt compete with a Sub1 and if you have a large room you will really benefit from this change. Keep the rears as big as you can accomodate and any compromise will be lessened.

A

Anonymous

Nads - 5.1 Setup only.

Thanks for the advice David, Nick & Alienrik, I shall swap a pair of Monitor Audio RX2's in my office with my rear speakers and see how I get on. I think I willl just get rid of the subwoofer it seems.

Is there anything that competes with the SUB1 at that price point?

I think the SUB1 goes as low as 20Hz whilst still remaining distortion free even at high levels, so I was thinking as a longggg future upgrade to get 2 of them. Or would you wait to just get the SUB2 Nick? I see you have the subwoofer in store thats why I ask for your opinion.

Thanks

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
HI Vinny my thoughts would be one sub 2 rather than two sub 1's. Both are superb and I have not come across anything that competes properly with the Sub1, we used to specify the big Sunfire sub but the Paradigm walks all over it. The room eq works wonders to make sure you really get the best sound and despite its size is not too intrusive. The Sub1 will hold its value exceptionally well so buying one now and upgrading to a SUB2 later would be a viable route.

As for the Sub2 then the KEF 209 competes with that, both are complete beasts!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts