how good or bad is the Tannoy mercury V4?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm still find the MA RX 6 too bright for me. My conclusion: This is not the right speaker for me. How will be these Tannoy speakers? They are cheap. Can you hear that? My cdp is the Marantz cd 6004. Amp wil be the pm 6004 or the pm lite, depending on the speakers.

Ryan92

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
For a £250 a pair, they sound pretty good and quite "smooth". I heard them in Richersounds with a PM/CD6004 combo. Though if you were looking at the RX6 they would be a step down in overall SQ IMO. That said, the tannoy DCT6 are on offer for a bit less than the RX6 in Richersounds at the moment. They are probably an "equivilent" speaker in terms of the brands respective ranges.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/tannoy-revolution-dc6t

http://www.richersounds.com/product/floorstanders/tannoy/revolution-dc6t/tann-revo-dc6t-espr

Though said that, I'd be wanting to give it better amplification than a PM6004.

A

Anonymous

I've been demoing a lot of speakers recently and you're comparing very good midrange speakers with ok budget speakers I think!

If you find the RX6's to bright what about the likes of some Rega RS5's or Dali Lektor 6's etc... At least they're of the same level & quality...

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
The Tannoy dcd6T is a beautiful speaker, but has also a cold, bright topend. Otherwise i would go for them. I also think that a marantz pm 6004 are not good enough for these speakers. Maybe a pm lite.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
From what I recall of reading your many posts on this subject, it would appear that you consider an awful lot of speakers to be bright/harsh. Maybe you need to be looking elsewhere in your system or even at the room itself?

Crocodile said:
From what I recall of reading your many posts on this subject, it would appear that you consider an awful lot of speakers to be bright/harsh. Maybe you need to be looking elsewhere in your system or even at the room itself?

Agreed: If MA, Focal, Tannoy and all the others are too bright, I'd look at demoing the CDP first with RX6s. Clearly it seem the electronics is wrong for the OP's ears.

Alternatively, look at Dynaudio DM 2/6. If they don't tame the top end of the kit, nothing will.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Couple of things I'd suggest trying:

Try listening through a decent pair of headphones. If the brightness disappears then it's unlikely to be your source or amp.

Assuming that's OK, try sitting much closer to the speakers. Around a metre or less just to hear how they sound then. If the brightness disappears you likely have a problem with room acoustics.

True about the headphone test. However, be aware: If they are Grados - very good cans - they are very detailed and probably won't do the OP any favours. The one advantage of headphones, though, is you can walk into most outlets and do a direct comparison with a different makes.

Also agree about room acoustics...

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
With the headphone is a good idea. I will try this. I have a Sennheiser which i like very much.

By the way; the cdp is a NAD. In my post i have written Marantz. The NAD has problems and will repaced by the Marantz cd 6004. But the dealer can deliver it at 14 April! I love the Marantz sound. NAD has for me a too hard sound en isn't smooth as the Marantz. I expect that it will be better with the Marantz cdp.

But still think that the RX 6 is on the bright side. But my old amp and cdp was a 20 year old Denon with KEF speakers. Yeah; i like a warm sound. But nowadays that is history.

peterpan said:
With the headphone is a good idea. I will try this. I have a Sennheiser which i like very much.

By the way; the cdp is a NAD. In my post i have written Marantz. The NAD has problems and will repaced by the Marantz cd 6004. But the dealer can deliver it at 14 April! I love the Marantz sound. NAD has for me a too hard sound en isn't smooth as the Marantz. I expect that it will be better with the Marantz cdp.

But still think that the RX 6 is on the bright side. But my old amp and cdp was a 20 year old Denon with KEF speakers. Yeah; i like a warm sound. But nowadays that is history.

Arcam work very well with MA and Focal. My old all-Arcam set-up sounded sublime for the money - no edginess to the presentation. Even sounds very controlled with Leema/MA combo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts