How good is the Pioneer SC-LX90 for music?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've read the reviews and have the SC-LX90 on the shortlist of upgrade options from my Denon AVR-4306. The main reasons for the upgrade are that the 4306 doesn't have HDMI1.3, nor any HD-audio decoding and for some time I've been looking to upgrade to something which will give me better sound with music. Due to exchange rates, prices are all rising here in Oz in the New Year and I have a short-time opportunity to buy the SC-LX90 for a VERY good price though haven't had an opportunity (yet) to listen to it.

Any opinions / experience with this amp and whether this will be a satisfactory upgrade and how its going to go with my Cambridge Audio 740C cd player and speakers - Monitor Audio RS6 / RSLCR / RSFX + Velodyne CHT-12R sub.

A

Anonymous

G'day Damien,

I am sure you would have guessed that I would post a reply here!

Unfortunately, like you, I have not had the opportunity and privilege to audition this product. However, being specially fine-tuned by AIR Studios, and achieving their top status as an audio product (cannot remember the actual name of the top ranking; AIR Studios has several grades, and the SC-LX90 'Susano' has achieved their top grade), I would have to say that the 'LX90 must surely be very musical.

A

Anonymous

Hello boys !

ÿ

Dantan - How you getting on with that AV8003 ? It's suddenly popped back into my thinking....My aim these last few months, in light of me shifting to Naim amps, CDP etc for stereo, was to get their own AV2 for processing....But, I'm just having hesitations. It's long in the tooth now, and Naim are giving no word as to whether an AV3 is ever gonna come, so the cost and lack of HD codecs is bugging me......So, just having some thoughts again about sticking with the Marantz for processing, then feeding the analogue into the Naim rig.....The 8003 is seriously cheap (or was) in Sing, so it's tempting.......Don't know !

ÿ

Damien - I haven't heard it. I'm sure it's a good all rounder, but I have my doubts about any of these AVRs for stereo....Why not do what Dantan is doing and I'm thinking, feed the stereo pre-amp into a decent stereo amp for your 2 channel stuff ? I know it can be argued it's something of a waste of the amps in these AVRs, but perhaps it's the best overall compromise..? I just there were more pre-amp/processors out there to choose from......

A

Anonymous

Hey mate,

I have had my Marantz AV8003 for approximately three weeks now, and am absolutely loving it!

What has impressed me most is the significant improvement in 2-channel stereo play-back.

With multi-channel, playing Blu-ray Discs and SD DVD's, audio quality has also improved significantly. All these comments are compared to when I was using a humble Integra DTR7.8 (which is basically an Onkyo TX-SR875 minus the Realta top-notch video chip-set and a couple of other fandangles, which I never utilised, anyway) as a Pre-Amplifier. Sound-stage is wider and absolutely immense, surround effects steering is pin-sharp, separation is superb, and even multi-channel music has improved tremendously. The Marantz has a distinctive 'warm' sound and feel to it, which I am sure you will know what I mean, seeing that you own an '8002 A/V Receiver.

I haven't auditioned the MM8003 Power Amplifier, but I would suggest to go for a gruntier Power Amplifier such as the NAD M25 (which I have got). The MM8003, I have seen measurements, don't go anywhere near the 140-watt per channel Marantz claims, whereas the NAD M25 claims 160-watts per channel, but has measured quite well over 180-watts per channel, all 7-channels powered simultaneously into 8ohm loads.

Dan.

A

Anonymous

Cheers mate...

Hmmm, sounds impressive....Could be the ticket. I guess if I went that way, I would also gain by having the video functions, although, my new plasma with separate media box will also be able to take the various sources also. Do you know what the video chip is in the 8003, how does the scaling compare to say the Onkyo 875 ?

If it's sounding warm, could be a good thing for me, balance the Naim amps a bit. I haven't found the 8002ÿparticularlyÿwarm, but I've always put that down to a combination of the speakers I currently have and my 'hard' room...

I probably won't use it for any two channel, and I certainly won't be going for the MM amp (although the 2 together look a right pair!), as I'll partner it with Naim amps for the 5 channels...

Hmmmm, you got me thinking now...Will have to check up on latest prices...

Damien - could be good for you ?ÿ

Steveÿ

A

Anonymous

The AV8003 employs Anchor Bay video chip(s), which as far as I can tell, is the same as the one in Yamaha's flag-ship RX-Z11.

Apparently, the Realta video chip-set in the Onkyo TX-SR875 and higher models is pretty much the best one can get, but I couldn't tell you because I haven't seen them next to each other, plus, I don't require any form of scaling.

Most of the material I watch are Blu-ray Discs, so their native resolution is 1920 x 1080 (1080p), so I have set my Marantz AV8003 to 'passthrough' the full resolution untouched. With SD DVD's, I get my Pioneer BDP-LX71 Blu-ray Disc Player to upscale to 1080p, then send it to my Marantz AV8003 which passes it through untouched. Therefore, I don't actually utilise the video chip-set in my AV8003. As you can tell, I am more an audio person. I am not very good with de-interlacing, interlacing, etc.

I purchased my AV8003 a couple of days before the price rise. In Australia, RRP used to be $4,499.00, but it has increased to $5,499.00. I paid $3,700.00 for mine.

My lounge-room is also not ideal, leaning towards hard. The Marantz most definitely has a 'warm' type of sound, compared to my Integra (which is the same company as Onkyo) which favours a more 'exciting', 'balls-out' type of sound, which there is nothing wrong with it, but for music, I definitely prefer the warmer type of sound.

A

Anonymous

Ah, the southern hemisphere trio back in action ; )

I went to have a quick squiz at the Pioneer amp today and its an impressive and intimidating looking beast - I'll be going back in a week or two for an extended listening session which as its the same dealer I got all my other dear from, I can have set up with my RS6's and Cambridge CD player.

SC- I had more or less decided to wait until later in the year and go the two box route - perhaps the 8003 and a different brand power amp - as DanTan points out, the 8003 power amp is somewhat under-performing and I cant really understand what Marantz are thinking partnering a THX Ultra2 processor with a non-certified underpowered amp. Anyway, with the exchange rates pushing all prices up, it looks like a wait and going this way will have me coughing up over A$10k which is difficult to justify.

The LX90 has Air Studio's 'reference monitor' status so I'm thinking it must be good - and 200W/ch (7 channels) is some serious power - flexible too - in a 5ch set-up like mine you can bi-amp all 5 channels - just remains to be seen what the class D sounds like - I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the new Arcam av receiver has the same type of amplification and some of the new Rotels have gone class D too.

If I want the LX90 I can have it for A$6995 - the RRP in Oz just went to $12,999 so this is an insane price. The dealer is happy to hold it for me until I can get over and listen to it in January which is of course going to be the acid test. Will let you know how I go.

Oh, and have a great christmas!

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Haven't heard the SC-LX90 either, but I had a Pioneer VSX-AX5i previously which was also tuned by Air Studios. I was very happy with the music ability of the amp. Having been a previous hi-end Cyrus system owner in my single days, I appreciated the open and detailed sound you get from the Pioneer. However, if you prefer a Denon/Arcam type sound which tends to be warmer, the Pioneer might not be the way to go.

My choice would be Pioneer with more detail at the expense of perhaps harshness with some poor recordings compared to the warmer and safer sound of Denon/Arcam.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
We have the SC-LX90 here and it is something else indeed. It is very good at 2ch audio, we run it through the Pioneer EX speakers as well as Dali Helicons amongst others and it shines. It still has a slightly forward presentation and a listen to the Yamaha DSP-Z11 is a good alternative. You really need to hear them to make sure it is right for your set up. In a big room the effortless power sounds superb

Compared to the Marantz AV/MM8003 the Pioneer is cleaner and tauter with more authority to the sound but speaker choice would close the gap between the two.

Nick

A

Anonymous

TheHomeCinemaCentre:
We have the SC-LX90 here and it is something else indeed. It is very good at 2ch audio, we run it through the Pioneer EX speakers as well as Dali Helicons amongst others and it shines. It still has a slightly forward presentation and a listen to the Yamaha DSP-Z11 is a good alternative. You really need to hear them to make sure it is right for your set up. In a big room the effortless power sounds superb

Compared to the Marantz AV/MM8003 the Pioneer is cleaner and tauter with more authority to the sound but speaker choice would close the gap between the two.

Nick

Thanks Mate, sounds good - should be auditioning it next week. Any comments on how compatible it might be with my Monitor Audio's? Also, how would you describe it compared to a Denon 4306 if you've experience with that amp?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I would imagine the LX90 and MA speakers will work very well. We do not stock MA currently but have set up several systems with them and the Pioneer range. I can not comment on how the Denon sounds as I haven't heard it - it is the one big AV brand that we do not carry.

Nick

A

Anonymous

Thanks Mate - wondering if Andrew or Claire will drop in as they'll know how they both sound. and whether it goes with the speakers.

A

Anonymous

Pioneer CS-LX90 is good choice indeed, but I'm affraid that you have to think about your loudspeakers also, I mean- Pio 90 comes from reference level, and MA Silver Line (?) is far below that reference line, CA 740 is ok. I have had my Pio 10Ax for approx. 6 years and only when I bought canton reference (I had Canton Ergo 700 before that) I realized the full potencial of Pio 10ax, mainly - 2 channel audio, SACD..

Cheers

A

Anonymous

pvalters:
Pioneer CS-LX90 is good choice indeed, but I'm affraid that you have to think about your loudspeakers also, I mean- Pio 90 comes from reference level, and MA Silver Line (?) is far below that reference line, CA 740 is ok. I have had my Pio 10Ax for approx. 6 years and only when I bought canton reference (I had Canton Ergo 700 before that) I realized the full potencial of Pio 10ax, mainly - 2 channel audio, SACD..

Cheers

I came back into HiFi after a fairly long break and started out without doing enough research hence now I've got a start - I'll be gradually upgrading all my kit in time hence why I'm not too concerned at staying at a certain price level - more or less at the moment I'm looking for the best individual piece of kit at a time.

I'm hoping to upgrade my speakers eventually perhaps to MA's GS20/60's or even the Platinum line, for the main pair at least and also a dedicated high end BluRay player. I've invested in good cabling throughout which should be suitable for whatever I get in future and with the KRP-600M, pretty much the best tv you can buy, so I now have to start with the amp and go from there.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Sounds like a good way to do it, Damien.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of us don't have all that money to spend all that once, so we have to gradually change things one at a time. However, I have found that it is quite pleasurable, actually, because each time you replace things, you get improvements (or so you'd hope, anyway!), so you know exactly how much or how little of an improvement said component exerted on your system.

The Monitor Audio Gold and Platinum Series loudspeakers are very nice loudspeakers indeed. If I could afford it, I would love to have a whole loudspeaker set-up consisting of PL300's and PL350 centre channel. Otherwise, the Mordaunt-Short Performance 6's would be a very good second choice for me - IF I could afford them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts