How far in the future?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Ofcourse it costs money. :wall: Its about competition. VM were slow with DD which is why I went to Sky. 3D costs money but only Sky offer this 'free' bonus. How many really want HD audio? Just us lot (few)? Is it technically possible with bandwidth etc? It would be good to know that it was 'under consideration' which I guess was the point of this thread.

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Ofcourse it costs money. :wall: Its about competition. VM were slow with DD which is why I went to Sky. 3D costs money but only Sky offer this 'free' bonus. How many really want HD audio? Just us lot (few)? Is it technically possible with bandwidth etc? It would be good to know that it was 'under consideration' which I guess was the point of this thread.

The only UK broadcaster who insists on a 5.1 mix on their master deliverables (in Dolby E format - which is a PITA) are actually Sky. I've not worked on anything for the terrestial broadcasters which has had any requirement for a UK 5.1 mix, just stereo. Also, although it is included as a part of the delivery spec for HD masters, it is not a requirement.

However anything which is also being delivered for worldwide distribution or made as a co-production will usually insist on having a 5.1 mix on those particular masters, whereas the UK versions do not. So looks like you'll be waiting a while longer !

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
What annnoys me is not everything we watch on TV or most of the video games we play are in 1080p yet their pushing out 4K. 4K will not take off and 8K will be what we all upgrade to.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
We're lucky if we get 1080i rather than 1080p - DD is common enough on Sky Movies/Sports along with mist HD channels but has been for some years - HD channels on Freesat/Freeview are still very limited, VM and Sky have quite a number now if you're willing to pay top$$ but I think we should be getting mnore for our money!

The tv technology is outstripping the suppliers of service providers - who is likely to buy a 4K tv when the majority of channels are stoill briadcast in very poor standard def - it just serves to magnify how horrible it is.

Same with av receivers etc - they're capable of delivering so much more than the service providers can deliver at present.....it's been 6 years since we got HD tv and there seems to be no imminent change up to at least 1080p etc...Sky and Vm still keep raising their prices!

Marsbardark

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Exactly the problem. The best kit in the world can't polish a crap source. You could have a 30 grand tv but most of the time you'll be watching top gear repeats on dave!

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am watching the Canadian GP on BBC1 HD its in 1080i but BBC2 HD has Tropic of Cancer in 1080p and C4HD has Four Rooms in 1080p every other HD channel in Freeview HD is in 1080i.

Best Wishes

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts