How does a Blu-Ray Player work?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I've just been thinking about what makes blu-ray players different? What happens after the laser hits the disk? Does the player just send the data straight to the HDMI socket? Or is there more to it than that? Could someone please enlighten me?

[*-)]

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Keeping it simple, the video needs to be 'decompressed' before it enters the HDMI

Audio can be decompressed onboard, or sent via bitsream to the hdmi

No different to playing a dvd

A

Anonymous

So the player does influence the image that ends up on the screen? It's just I've been doing some back to back test with the two players I've got and was quite surprised how much difference there was. When the player decompresses the data, is it just a mathematical calculation or is the player modifying it in some way?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Technically speaking, all blurays 'should' be equal when displayed onscreen

Some players do have filters which will change the way it looks at a physical level.

As to whether those that are supposed to just display whatever its fed - its debatable. Many people will tell you theres no difference, others will tell you there can be (depending on the player and the players dont have filters)

I dont really have an opinion on this as I havnt really tested one against another. I do have a PS3 and an S370 so I might do a visual test at some point as im intrigued myself.

A

Anonymous

I believe there is a difference as this little review I did , will show.

Hi, for anyone interested I've just completed an extensive back to back test with the LX54 and the Sony BDP-S570. Which is quite difficult with only having one copy of each film and having to put up with Blu-Ray loading times. This is one area that the Sony comes out on top, but the Pioneer is no slouch and still loads in respectable times. Well with the problems the LX54 still has until the final update is available, it is still hands down a better player than the Sony.

Picture quality is the first thing most people are interested in. With the Pioneer blacks are blacker, colours are richer and the overall picture as greater depth and detail. the picture it presents is amazingly 3D. Even without using any 3D functions, the picture as great perspective and depth. I don't think you get that even in 3D movies. Who wants to ware them or pay for them. I ware glasses already and its not greatest experience ware two at a time.

When it comes to sound there is just as big a jump in quality as in the picture department. I may have a slight advantage as I'm using a Pioneer ampÿ with PQLS. Sound is steered around you so accurately, that it can have your head spinning. The opening scene in Cars displays this with aplomb, as cars pass over you, to the left and right hand side at great speed. The quality of detail may only be a bit better, but with the steering it makes a big difference.

So the Sony's going back up stairs and I'm crossing my finger that Pioneer get that update out quickly. The Pioneer's a good upgrade over the Sony and its here to stay.

A

Anonymous

how does a blu ray player work
i think it spins the disc.

A

Anonymous

dvdaudio:how does a blu ray player work
i think it spins the disc.

Is that what that whirring noise is?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts