How do you export i tunes

stuart123

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi all, I am pretty new to mp3 stuff so would like some help with the following.

I have nearly filled up my laptops 60gb of memory, and need to export it to a external hard drive.

I have a 160gb classic, and all my albums are in apple lossless.

How do I do the following

-Keep my itunes empty on the laptop, but use my external drive as the itunes defult drive.

-when exported, fully delete all tunes on my laptop.

Thanks.

Messiah

Once the external drive is connected you have to set up a file where you want to save the tunes. Then go into the iTunes options to change where it saves the files. Edit - Preferences - Advanced - General. (Ensure your have the drive connected each time though or it will revert back to the original location.) and choose the file you set up.

When you change the file location it will tell you where they are currently stored. In Windows it will be in the My Music folder under iTunes. Go into this file and Cut the iTunes folder over to the new folder on the External Drive. This will also delete it from the laptop at the same time.

In future it will save it to the external drive if connected.

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Easiest way is to (iTunes 8, but works with older iTunes too):

1. Create new folder on USB disk

2. Preferences > Advanced > change music folder location to USB disk

3. File > Library > Consoildate Library.

Itunes will then move your music to the new location. Consolidation is also good if you have the habbit of saving your music all over the place. Consolidation will put it all into one folder for you.

(If you cut and paste - you'll loose your album artwork etc...)

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
This thread will help me aswell. Thanks guys.I've dreaded transferring from my fit to burst laptop to a hard disk for fear of melt down but will defo try this tonite.

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
I have just started the transfer of files.I followed binmans easy instructions.I've only 30 odd gigs to go from my laptop to hard disk.It seems to be taking ages.Any ideas on how long it normally takes?

A

Anonymous

Doing the same thing myself coolaboola. Its almost there and has taken about an hour for 30 GB. I guess it maybe depends on how your existing files were structured.

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
I Transferred over fairly successfully.Its just that the files are on both the lap top and the external hard drive now.I,m such a numpty when it comes to this sort of thing.I need to find out how to clear my laptop but I'm not in any hurry and I dread the thoughts of pressing a delete buttob on itunes.

TRENDING THREADS