How do you coax your partner when purchasing Hifi

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I took my wife to the Sound and Vision show at Bristol last year to gauge her reaction in purchasing a decent system and showed her the Arcam Mini Solo as that was my basis for starters. She noted the Cyrus gear and was really taken with the Carat units that was connected to Tannoy floorstanders. The point is with looking around the stylish stands I knew I had the green light to find a 3K system as long as it was compact enough.

It took nearly a year auditioning between Sevenoakes and Richer Sounds and finally at Christmas she agreed to listen to what I liked as well as showing her the benefits of Sonos as the wifi element which obviously stretched our budget considerable but is used daily.

She is happy with the sound quality and does not see the need to upgrade further. So I thought I would try an experiment and loaned the PSX-R Box for 5 days. Today I took it back and I am going to see if she notices any difference with our normal system and in two weeks time I will see if I can loan it again, hopefully for a week. Then we can both decide does it justify the money.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I don't really buy enough hi-fi for it to be a consideration really. Last thing I bought was a new cartridge for the turntable (which is actually hers anyway) back in February. She noticed the difference immediately, so that was fine.

A

Anonymous

you don't .........you just get what you would like and enjoy it!!!!! liffe is to short.

DaveyBoy1980

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
I just play the costs down! Lucky for me that a lot of expensive kit looks retro and old skool!

Just like when I swapped out my old £150 yamaha Ax-392 for a Musical Fidelity A5 integrated. When she found out it was from Ebay she naturally presumed by it's looks that it was very old and I had got myself a bargain!

A

Anonymous

iv recently pretty much renewed all my stereo and av kit except tv, it was getting on .had to sell my marine fish tank set up first told here id made a fortune on ebay . and never tell her how much things cost and i dont think she really wants to know

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:brittondave:you don't .........you just get what you would like and enjoy it!!!!! life is to short. It would be much shorter if I took that advice.

just wear a cricket box and crash helmet when giving her the good news of the impending lounge sound sculptures.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
If she buys loads of clothes, expensive haircuts, handbags, shoes, facials etc etc then you are more than justified to treat yourself too.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have paid a fortune towards my wife's motoring this year. New tyres, an MOT, service, new battery, road tax, and a small fortune towards her new car last Saturday.

(Her job costs me big time.)

So when/if I recover financially then I will buy what I damned well please. I have accrued the points. (I just wish I had accrued the cash as well.)

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
You: "Honey, I've got to have a new Harley Davidson. It only costs 20k and I'll be gone a lot on the weekends biking with my new friends."

Her: "What! No way! We can't afford it and I don't want you gone all the time! Not to mention you'll be killed!!!"

You: "Ok, well since I'm going to be home all the time, can I at least spend 5k on a new hifi?"

Sliced Bread

brittondave:you don't .........you just get what you would like and enjoy it!!!!! life is to short.

If your married the finances are joint and so is the d‚cor in the living room, so compromises should be made.

A

Anonymous

I have persuaded my wife that the extra money I get for marking some exam papers goes into my hi-fi fund. In my new job we get paid bonuses based on company performance and I have persuaded her that half of it can go into my hi-fi fund (i.e. other half can go on things she wants to buy). Of course this worked well until I got a substantial bonus so I had to spend 20 thousand pounds on a new kitchen. Expensive hobby this hi-fi!

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Now you see, I saw the thread title and assumed it was a bondage thing involving cables.......

So long as I'm paying and she can live with the aesthetics I can buy what I like/can afford (not always the same). Only coaxing would be needed if it involved too many wires/boxes. On that basis, think I'm potentially on a winner with the NaimUniti

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts