How do the KEF R100 compare to the Q300

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have not had a chance to demo yet, but with the current offer of £100 off, the new R100 aren't far off the Q300 price wise, besides the obvious frequency range differences stated in the specs, does anyone who's heard both know how the 2 compare. I fancy using my unused read channels, via speaker set B to run a pair of stereo speakers. I had almost decided on the black Q300, but the shiny R100 caught my eye and I can't stretch to the R300

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The UniQ of the R series is far more advanced, and the build quality of the cabinet is such that it adds very little to the resulting sound. The Q300 is one of my favourite speakers from the range, but the R100 is in another league. It'll just be down to how much your 5006 will get out of them.

A

Anonymous

Thanks David, I thought the R100's would probably be the way to go, they are more wife friendly too, due to their size and aesthetics. I understand what you say about my AVR, which was recently downgraded from an SC-LX73 as I was not using its muscle so much. I've come to love the Marantz musical presentation and with its airplay it's really become the heart of the setup, but I thought it may sound better with stereo playback with some better speakers. Do you think a step up to the 6006 would be enough of an improvement to help the R100's sound better?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I don't think it'd be worth changing for really. If you're going to change, I'd be looking at the 7005 for a worthwhile step. The 5006 should be fine - at least you know you have room for improvement when the time comes to upgrade your amp at some point :)

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The Marantz is good enough to allow you to hear the differences between the speakers and will happily drive the R100's. I think David was suggesting that if you put even more in you will get more out , this is the case with most of the KEF ranges. I wouldnt step up to the 6006 unless you can get a very good deal on the move. The SR7005 would be worthwhile but other than that I would make sure you get a set of very good stands for your speakers and select a speaker cable that will bring the most out of your system.

A

Anonymous

Thank you both for your input I'll see if I can get a demo, any suggestions on reasonably priced speaker wire and a set of stands (they need to be about 750mm high), your input would be appreciated.

andrew_cawood

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I like your set up, I was looking to do something very similar with the r100s as L/R and the T301 as the center (I hate the big bulky centers!), how do they work together? I also wanted to get a discrete AV receiver and I'm considering the Marantz NR1602 but I am worried that it wouldn't be able to drive the r100s given it's power output. I realise that I'd be making a compromise but I live in a flat and can't crank it up too loud anyway!

Any thoughts greatfully received...

Currently Head Fi - Mac Book Pro | MF V Dac II | Graham Slee Novo | AKG K702

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Something like QED Original or Chord Carnival Classic will do just fine as far as cables are concerned.

With stands, I tend to prefer four leg stands which I find more stable. I've used the Q300's at home with the Atacama HMS2's (although slightly expensive for that particular speaker!), or the HMS1's for the R100's. Have a look at a few in store and choose a nice stable one :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You would be better off sticking with the Q series for the 1602. For the R series to work as they should, you'd be looking at the 6006 or 7005 ideally.

As long as the receiver you go for allows different crossover points for all speakers you will be able to use a T series centre. This will need to be crossed over at a higher crossover point due to a short throw bass driver.

andrew_cawood

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Thank you David, I thought that might be the case. Are you aware of any other AV receivers that are more compact, but could properly drive the r100s?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately, most slimmer AV receivers tend to be of a lower output due to having a smaller transformer and heat sinking. I think the 1602 will be as capable a slimmer receiver as you're likely to find...

A

Anonymous

andrew_cawood said:
Hi, I like your set up, I was looking to do something very similar with the r100s as L/R and the T301 as the center (I hate the big bulky centers!), how do they work together? I also wanted to get a discrete AV receiver and I'm considering the Marantz NR1602 but I am worried that it wouldn't be able to drive the r100s given it's power output. I realise that I'd be making a compromise but I live in a flat and can't crank it up too loud anyway!

Any thoughts greatfully received...

Currently Head Fi - Mac Book Pro | MF V Dac II | Graham Slee Novo | AKG K702

To be honest the T series are excellent on their own, and the higher frequency range match really well with the R100. However there is a noticeable difference in the mid / low range, even to the point that I'm thinking of changing the centre an rears. Like you I can't fit in the R200C it just won't look right as the TV is mounted on a flat wall and the other half won't have it. I'm considering either a MA A40 centre with 2 x A10 rears or the R800DS rears and no centre for now, I really can't decide.

andrew_cawood

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't know whether you've seen it, but monitor audio are launching a 'shadow' series soon which might be an option. I haven't seen the spec yet though.

A

Anonymous

The_Lhc said:
markjaspi said:
I can't fit in the R200C, the other half won't have it.

Yes I've got that problem, it's ridiculously large (nevermind the 600!), it's the only thing stopping me from getting the 300s up front.

I'm considering the R300's up front, which are also pretty large, and moving the R100 to the rear,( if I can get the other half used to the 100's, she might not notice the increase in size too much). If not maybe 100 front & back.

A

Anonymous

andrew_cawood said:
I don't know whether you've seen it, but monitor audio are launching a 'shadow' series soon which might be an option. I haven't seen the spec yet though.

I saw that Andrew, but wonder if they will be as good as the Apex or R series.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
markjaspi said:
andrew_cawood said:

I saw that Andrew, but wonder if they will be as good as the Apex or R series.

I doubt it, in the same way the KEF T series won't be as good as the Q series, I doubt they'll be able to get something slimline to match up to Apex or R series. Flat speakers are compromised, and are for those that are willing to compromise sound quality in order to be discreet. Don't get me wrong, 'flat' speakers can sound very good, and way better than the failed attempts of NXT, but they're just not going to match up to speakers that have the advantage of driver size and cabinet volume.

A

Anonymous

I agree David, that's why I think the Apex offer the best trade off between style and substance.

How do you think the A40 would integrate with the the R100, possibly with 4 x R100, David?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
For me, that's a big no no. I would always use a centre from the same range in a speaker package - I'd never use a different manufacturer's centre.

If push comes to shove, different rear speakers can be used, as many 'matching' rear speakers tend to sound a little different anyway, mainly because of smaller drivers and cabinet volumes, but also because of room layouts and just the way we hear things differently behind us than in front (blame the shape of your ears!). But again, I like to keep everything matching.

A

Anonymous

I would usually agree, but really struggling to find a solution to mount the matching R200C, it's just so damn deep at 305mm. May have to just run with 2 upfront for now.

A

Anonymous

Would it be a crime to wall-mount the R100's?

Would this affect the performance? And what type would you uses?

The waals btw are 25cm solid concrete..

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS