How do I get the most from Airport Express?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm currently streaming Apple Lossless tracks using Airport Express. I connect to my Pioneer SC LX81 using an optical lead, so I'm using the DAC in the receiver. Things sound good and I'm achieving a very detailed if not particularly warm sound. Problem is I'm not sure that I'm making the most of what I've got. I'm also running B&W CM9 speakers as my main Stereo pair.

Would I see a noticable difference (improvement) if I were to link my Airport Express to a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic and connect from this to my Pioneer in the analogue domain? Or would the difference be small and should I just save up for a dedicated HiFi Amp for the fronts and therefore use my Pioneer as a add on processor for when I'm watching films?

Thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom!

A

Anonymous

I would not buy a DacMagic in your situation. The soundquality won't improve THAT much. I could hear a tiny difference when I got my Dacmagic as a replacement for my analog wire!? And I have a very revealing hifi stereo. On a surround reciever with a built in DAC I don't think you'll notice any difference at all(only psycological).

A

Anonymous

I'm doing pretty much the same only in my case using an Onkyo NR905 which I presume is roughly equivalent to the OP's Pioneer so I'd very much like to hear some opinions myself. My gut reaction tell me the DAC Magic won't be that much of an "improvement" different perhaps but better I suspect not. Although I think an AVR at the higher end of the spectrum can make competent it's always going to be a compromise. As I've only space in my living room for one system the OP's option to go for a stereo amp driving front speakers is a tempting one.

I like the look of the Peachtree Audio Nova http://signalpathint.com/index.php/Nova/Introducing-Nova.html being a Sonos user at home it ticks a lot of boxes for me.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I have tried using the DacMagic vs the DAC built into my 905 and it did improve things quite a lot - made the Airport Express comparable in quality to my Marantz CD player hooked directly into the Onkyo via analogues whereas previously the Marantz was a step above. However, if you have the space, I personally would go down the route of purchasing a stereo amp, then maybe adding the external DAC into the equation at a later date - overall I think this would improve things the most. (The DacMagic is actually mainly used in my office, I only did the above as a test).

A

Anonymous

Thanks Prof much appreciate the input. Must admit it surprises me a little but as I plan on getting an outboard DAC for a bedroom/head phone system it'll be interesting to repeat the experiment in my own system.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
I totally agree with the prof. I didnt really compare the AE against my Rega CDP but I did various comparison as the following:

1. AE connected to my amp directly via a QED interconnect with the AE connected to my MF X DAC via an optical cable. The latter gave me much more detailed and punchier sound. The clarity of the guitar strings from my Gypsy Kings music collection was as if they were playing live in front of me. This test was done via my MF amplifiers and EPOS 12.2 speakers.

2. I then connected the AE with optical cable to my Yamaha receiver which drives my Mission 34i speakers. The sound is some sort muffled.

From these test, I concluded the following:

1. Dedicated stereo amplifiers is the way to go for 2 channel music.

2. Running AE via a a dedicated DAC vs direct connection to the amp does improve the sound. However, the question of how much improvement a DAC gives, to me its subjective to each individual. Lucky enough for me, I can hear the difference.

3. Running AE via an AV receiver DAC gave me a more muffled sound. It may also due to the amplifier side of it and the speakers I use for the Yamaha but I guess the DAC on the Yamaha is more dedicated to decode DTS/DD signal.

Well, thats my 2 cents. Overall, I love the AE. Planning to get another one for the kitchen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts