How do I enable coaxial digital out on BDP-S480?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As the subject really!

I've tried a few menu options but, to be honest, I'm just guessing. My surround sound amp doesn't have HDMI audio capability.

Thanks

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Not familiar with Sony menus but I thought a digital coaxial lead from the player to your amp would suffice? Don't think there's any 'enabling' to be done...but I've been wrong before...lol
smiley-surprised.gif

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Cofnchtr said:
Hi,

Not familiar with Sony menus but I thought a digital coaxial lead from the player to your amp would suffice? Don't think there's any 'enabling' to be done...but I've been wrong before...lol
smiley-surprised.gif

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

As above, you may need to assign an input on your amp to the coax input from your BDP................just an idea really.

A

Anonymous

Thanks but no joy so far.

I'm replacing a PS3 that had an optical out but it's going to the same input set on the amp and the amp just senses which is active (or so the manual says). So, if there is anything coming out I ought to hear it. Perhap I could just swap it onto an input already using co-ax for testing purposes, I think the PC has that.

A

Anonymous

Thanks but no joy so far.

I'm replacing a PS3 that had an optical out but it's going to the same input set on the amp and the amp just senses which is active (or so the manual says). So, if there is anything coming out I ought to hear it. Perhap I could just swap it onto an input already using co-ax for testing purposes, I think the PC has that.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I'd imagine you'd have to tell the BDP player to output via the coaxial, it'll probably default to HDMI. Bear in mind you won't be able to use the HD audio soundtracks using coaxial (or optical) though.

A

Anonymous

>Bear in mind you won't be able to use the HD audio soundtracks using coaxial (or optical) though.

Really?

Anyway I've swapped a few things around and now all is working. I have a horrible feeling that, in the gloom behind my TV etc, I may have connected the lead to audio out of the amp
smiley-embarassed.gif

A

Anonymous

>Bear in mind you won't be able to use the HD audio soundtracks using coaxial (or optical) though.

Really?

Anyway I've swapped a few things around and now all is working. I have a horrible feeling that, in the gloom behind my TV etc, I may have connected the lead to audio out of the amp
smiley-embarassed.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
lyteroptes said:

Really?

Yarp. The connection doesn't have the bandwidth to carry the full-fat Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks, so you either need to use HDMI or multi-channel analogue connections (which your BDP doesn't have).

smiley-embarassed.gif

Aha...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts