How could I arrange a 5.1 system in this room?

Pikman

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Here is a question, I have no idea how to solve it.. Where to put the TV and speakers?

Without wall mounting the TV, which is 46", not the one shown here.

Could I use a similar space to the smaller one here and still have the speakers and sofa in a square somehow? I cannot see how this would work, can it?

The room is approx 4 x 3m and is roughly symmetrical about the chimney.

I hope I have linked to this photo OK.. first time poster!

Pikman

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Unsure how I embed an image, here is a link at least!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/63379771@N00/6880326533/

Many thanks

Paul.

http://www.dynamicmounting.com/

Is using something like this to mount the TV above the fire place an option? This would make things easier for AV, but maybe not so good for interior design :)

Above%20Fireplace%20Mount%20Pulled%20Down.jpg

Above%20Fireplace%20Mount%20Up%20and%20Locked.jpg

wj731

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Just a rough guess here without seeing the room in full etc (as in what's behind the photographer).

Would it be worth moving the TV so it sits just in front of the bay window rather than by the fireplace. Plenty of space for speakers but appreciate sofa location may not be ideal or possible to move.

John Duncan

Ah, the eternal problem - home cinema in an actual *home*...

In that room, I would get a sub sat with teeny speakers. I'd have the centre above the tv and, at 'rest', the front two sitting either side of the TV. For movie watching, I'd try to temporarily move them wider; on the mantelpiece for the right and well, whatever you can manage for the left. Rears I'd put on wall brackets a couple of feet above your head on the back wall. Sub, wherever you can put it...

Pikman

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Exactly that, yes!

Works great in a batchelor pad, I'm happy that its on a large unit with everything bunged underneath, but not a solution for a *home* as you say.

6880518349_976e35eb6e.jpg

I love the fireplace solution from a practiality standpoint, especially if it lowers for TV then can be raised back up after, pretty cool. I don't think it passes THE test though. To me, it is likely the only actual solution to stick with a sensible AV setup.

Moving in front of the window might work, not sure how much light it would cut out and if the sofa would fit.. time to measure up :)

Thanks for the input all

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Pikman your only real options are to move the TV above the fireplace and mount it. Or as you have mentioned move the Tv into the Bay window. Only problem with the window is light and you will stare into the sun when it rises and sets.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You know whats ironic, I spent months debating whether to mount my TV or not and finally I decided to do it. It's just cheaper and more versatile when buying an AV rack or cabinet..... Now im waiting for the mount to be delivered today!!

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Pikman said:
Moving in front of the window might work, not sure how much light it would cut out and if the sofa would fit.. time to measure up :)

Just a thought - you can get "lifts" to raise and lower your tv, so potentially could put tv in a unit in front of window, and when not in use could be lowered, allowing light in

I had a look at this approach, but I got stuck because I couldn't find proper place for the settee and chairs.

Lots of paper plans with sticky paper squares on a grid, then gave up and have left it all in the corner. Not ideal, but other people have to live in the house too.

Pikman

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
In an ideal world, the fireplace would go and it would be mounted on the wall at a sensible height, saves loads of floorspace! Good luck with yours :)

I'll have a look into those lifts, not sure how tidy they would look, interesting concept though.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
It would be easy to remove the Fireplace and get it all patched up , the only downside would be the tiles on the floor would need replacing for either carpet or more tiles, i have a rug over mine

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Just a thought - you can get "lifts" to raise and lower your tv, so potentially could put tv in a unit in front of window, and when not in use could be lowered, allowing light in

I looked at this when I bought my Kuro, the lift would have cost more than the TV! There might be cheaper ones available but I ruled it out pretty quickly!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts