How cheaply can you create something special?

matthewpiano

Got to thinking today. Most discussion of hi-fi involves fairly big money. Given all the secondhand kit out there, how cheaply do you think you could create a system that sounded special - something that involves and makes you want to listen to the music without feeling like you've over-indulged?

A

Anonymous

I reckon with some savy 2nd hand buys £100 could create something that sounded pretty special IF you spent an equal amount of time and energy getting the room setup optimum.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
I'll be watching with interest. Would like to put a nice system together for my daughter for £100 pound mark as was going to ask for some thoughts. :)

A

Anonymous

My Yamaha HS50M active speakers with a second hand Roland DAC and all the cables cost just £300.

This system is really good even though it was very cheap. Sounds better then the Monitor Audio BX2 or Kef Q300 to my ears.

A

Anonymous

Ok, I've had a quick scan of the dreaded auction site and, not including postage costs I would go for something like:

JPW Gold Monitors ca. £25

Rotel 920AX ca. £35

Marantz CD48 ca. £20

=£70

I would be willing to bet that would sound as good as any £300 system you could buy in Richer Sounds or other discount store.

But, as I said, to make it sound special it would take a great deal of effort in setting it up properly (as does any system).

T

the record spot

Sansui AU-217 - £33

Mission 752 - £80

Marantz CD52 Mk II SE - £65

Paul.

Depends what you mean special... I had a near field system which was enjoyable, i.e. good enough for me to think about the music not the sound. This was Mission Denon branded SC-M50 speakers (£35) and a Marantz PM42 SE (£40). I used an old iPod remote dock and standard headphone cable, with some Chord Rumour offcuts that were only just long enough :). Sounded ace considering the price, and if ever I was on hard times I would be happy to use it in the living room.

(Its at my brothers house at the mo, got so fed up watching movies on his LCD TV speakers I just showed up with the stereo and set it up!)

matthewpiano

Interesting to see Marantz and Rotel CD players featured already. In my experience it is very hard to improve on the likes of the Rotel RCD965BX or Marantz CD63SE, even with some quite expensive current CD spinners.

I'll put my own suggested combo together later but I'm really interested in everyone else's thoughts...

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Ah, this is a topic very close to my (tight-fisted) heart.

OK, I picked up a pair of Acoustic Energy AE109s for £70 - I won them on ebay for about £100 but when I turned up the guy confessed that he had managed to break off one of the speaker terminals on the back and let me have them for the aforementioned £70. The damage made no difference to being able to wire them up, just looks a bit duff.

Picked up a Marantz SE63 Mkii Ki sig (is that right?) for £90.

Had an existing Pioneer A400 (def availble for <£100 if you're canny).

So let's say £260. You'd need maybe £40 worth of cables, so £300 all in I reckon.

It sounds lovely.

I've just seen some Mission 752s go on ebay for £31.

£31!!!!! Honestly, they're in my watch list. £31!!!!!

Can't believe I didn't buy them, they were collection from Bristol, 35 mins away. I am an idiot.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't beat JD's £61.28 but I reckon it might sound a bit meatier.

Plus if you'd got the Missions for £31 you can knock £40 off my total.

I am very happy with the set up as is, the Missions might actually improve it and for £40 less.

Madness. Madness I tell you!!!

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
shooter said:
I'll be watching with interest. Would like to put a nice system together for my daughter for £100 pound mark as was going to ask for some thoughts. :)

I think JD's suggestion, if you can source it at that money, would be hard to beat for £61.28!!!!

Good topic Matthew!

Enough exclamation marks already?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
A bit pricier from me ... but includes new components and some futureproofing built in

£199 Teac A-H01 (new)

£85 Acoustic Energy Compact 1 (new)

£15 Philips DVD player (used) or use your PC

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
As I'm about to move into my new house, and have managed to cut a few quid on the build here and there, I was really thinking I could justify a pretty hefty spend on hifi for a couple of rooms. Been seriously considering ADM9Ts in one room, and ADM40s in a much bigger room, just cos I love the simplicity.

However, looking at what I've just written, and what I've just read, I'm not sure I can justify it. Beyond a point, I'm honestly not that bothered about SQ - I think I can probably put together systems in each room for peanuts.

And I like peanuts. Do you like peanuts? Wanna go out for a beer and peanuts some time?

A

Anonymous

Overdose said:
nawty said:
But, as I said, to make it sound special it would take a great deal of effort in setting it up properly (as does any system).

What, like simply plugging it all together with some interconnects?

Room acoustics are far more important that the kit IMHO, get that right and most kit can sing. I see you use headphones though so you just need to clear your ears out!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
omnibeard said:
I've just seen some Mission 752s go on ebay for £31.

£31!!!!! Honestly, they're in my watch list. £31!!!!!

Can't believe I didn't buy them, they were collection from Bristol, 35 mins away. I am an idiot.

Blimey!

I sold mine on Ebay for £150 under 2 months ago, went within 2 hours of me putting on the advert

Assuming they are in good working condition, £31 has to be the deal of the year.

I'm still working on my cheapo system, started a month or so back with a mid 80's AKAI AM-A70 amp for £35.00. Got my eye on a pair of Tannoy speakers going locally at the mo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts