How can I play studio quality flac files through my hi-fi?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
[size=3>[face=Calibri>Having recently purchased a new laptop I decided to integrate my old one (Dell Inspiron 6000) in to my Hi-Fi System,Having recently purchased a new laptop I decided to integrate my old one (Dell Inspiron 6000) in to my Hi-Fi System,[face=Calibri>Thanks in anticipation!Thanks in anticipation!Thanks in anticipation!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
GezzaB1:
Hi guys I am new to the What Hi-Fi forum and not particularly pc literate so hope I explain my dilemma clearly enough!

Having recently purchased a new laptop I decided to integrate my old one (Dell Inspiron 6000) in to my Hi-Fi System, so got myself a Cambridge DacMagic connected the laptop using the supplied USB cable and rca interconnects to my amp and have to say I'm pretty pleased with the results. So now I've decided to try 24 bit 192 kHz studio quality flac files. No problem you'd think but whilst the digital inputs of the DacMagic can carry the higher sample rates, the USB connection cannot and unfortunately my laptop doesn't have a s/pdif out! I thought that an apple airport express between my laptop and DacMagic might work but having read a few forums there seems to be some doubt as to whether it can carry these higher sample rates or indeed flac files at all? Can anyone advise me what I need? Hoping to spend less than £100 if possible.

Thanks in anticipation!

All you need is a soundcard with digital optical. I don't see another way around the problem. 24bit files sound amazing by the way!

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for your reply. Sounds like it's definitely worth doing then. Can you or anyone recommend a particular usb soundcard with digital optical out?

Cheers.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
GezzaB1:
Many thanks for your reply. Sounds like it's definitely worth doing then. Can you or anyone recommend a particular usb soundcard with digital optical out?

Cheers.

It shouldn't matter too much as the soundcard's 'sound' will be bypassed straight to the DAC to work it's magic.

I would also download something like J River Media Center jukebox. I use the Media Center which costs $50 but the Jukebox is just for music and is (was anyway) free. This enables you to get a great visual display for one, of all the album artwork and artists' details. And more importantly, it has an in built ASIO and WASAPI plug in. These will make sure that your music is sent to the DAC without any processing or bit tampering. Basically bit perfect. Using iTunes or WMP, you will not get this.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all your really useful advice guys; all my googling and searching of forums was proving a real headache! Looks like I'll soon be able to enjoy the delights of listening to high quality flac files after all!

TRENDING THREADS