How big is too big?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
For me, the new Galaxy S3 is just too big, i think they should have stuck with a 4.3 inch screen, in fact the overall size of the Galaxy S2 is about as big as i would be comfortable with, but ideally a little smaller.

So how big is too big for you? Is any current smartphone too big? And what's your ideal overall size?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
ooh.. said:
For me, the new Galaxy S3 is just too big, i think they should have stuck with a 4.3 inch screen, in fact the overall size of the Galaxy S2 is about as big as i would be comfortable with, but ideally a little smaller.

So how big is too big for you? Is any current smartphone too big? And what's your ideal overall size?

Max, pack it in posting identical threads! :)

Right, again. The HTC One X feels perfect. I "thought" it would be too big at 4.7", but the 16:9 ratio makes it slim, not much bigger than my Desire HD at 4.3"

I haven't held the Samsung, so I'm not sure about that.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
The One X and Galaxy S3 look absurdly large, irredeemably naff and vulgar.

Manufacturers might consider that not everyone wishes to look like a prize tool when they whip out a device that's sized like a slim volume of Yellow Pages.

images

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Though they can, of course, be used with headphones/headset instead - or speakerphone if you're at home: you don't have to hold it to your head...

(know what you mean, mind you....)

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Sure, headphones are fine when out'n'about solo. But when walking with a pal, cans are a tad unsociable - then your phone rings, and you produce a slice-of-Hovis-proportioned 'thing' :oops:

"Headset"?? :eek: It's OK if such a device can be hidden behind long hair, but for the rest of us...

brad-pitt-headset-wired.jpg

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
You had a Galaxy Note yourself Max! ;)
Yep, bought on a Friday and sold the following Monday, BB, i was curious and it was cheap, and big, far too big :hand:

It's just a giant Galaxy S2 with a HD screen really, and a little pen :)

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Once you are used to the big screen you won't want to go back to a smaller one.

The Iphone screen is far too small to watch videos or browse the internet on. Also the new phones are slimmer and lighter than the iphone.

The HTC One X is only a few mm larger than the S2, as the bezel and surrounding areas for the electronics are much smaller. Next years models will probably be almost entirely screen.

A

Anonymous

I keep going back to the iPhone from larger screened phones, i can live with the small screen as it ticks the most important boxes for me.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
The One X and Galaxy S3 look absurdly large, irredeemably naff and vulgar.

Manufacturers might consider that not everyone wishes to look like a prize tool when they whip out a device that's sized like a slim volume of Yellow Pages.

What a ridiculous thing to say. Have you actually held one?

As I said, the One X is fractionally wider than my old phone.

Here is a picture...end to end.

The One X is taller than the 4.3" phone, but almost the same width...In use it neither looks or feels big.

IMG_9743.jpg

6th.replicant said:

That's why HTC has released One S (4.3 inch) & One V (3.7 inch) as well, for exactly that.

http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/#htc-one-series

And Samsung has a range of Galaxy smartphones to suit every preference:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/smartphones/android

Sliced Bread

I find the best judge is to .put it in your trouser pocket and see if it gets on your nerves. I had a One X for a few weeks, and I've got to say that it's more comfortable in the pocket than my desire. It's thinner and (a lot) lighter. I barely noticed it.

If you make a lot of calls then a smaller one is probably more comfortable to hold, but if you spend most of your time with it browsing the web then I find it more comfortable than my desire.

Besides, these larger phones almost negate the need (read desire) for a separate tablet.

Now the Samsung Note I found too big (for me) although I hear some love it.

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Personal preference shirley, if you have small dainty hands you will probably prefer a smaller handset. Depends how you use your phone as well, if you just want a phone to make calls and send texts then a smaller handset does the job perfectly. If you want to view web pages, play games or watch movies for example then a bigger screen has got to be an advantage.

My current Nokia 5310 is very small by todays standards but as it has proper numeric keys I find texting to be failry easy even with my erm man sized hands. The current generation of phones with a touchscreen at the same size are a complete nightmare in comparison.

I was tempted to upgrade to the HTC OneX but was holding off for the S3 to be released. The fact the S3 has a removable battery (without stripping the phone to bits),a SD reader and a higher capacity battery has swayed my decision. Size wise there is not much in it going off the tech specs of simillar phones, S2/S3, OneX etc. Also the S3 looks to be failry light as well so even though its a big phone I doubt you will notice it much when its in your pocket.

A big phone is handy if your a buisness type as well, the current generation can pretty much replace a laptop as well as making calls. It is amazing how much a smart phone can do these days compared with one from say two or three years ago.

EDIT: Should really read the whole thread before replying, +1 for Sliced Bread...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts