How are people finding 4K HDR now?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

Native_bon said:
Sorry I disagree. The 4K version in some scenes look oversaturated. Still stand my saying some 4k vidoes on youtube look much better than HDR 4K.
Any ideas why this is? What Hifi too any ideas? Thanks.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
Native_bon said:
Sorry I disagree. The 4K version in some scenes look oversaturated. Still stand my saying some 4k vidoes on youtube look much better than HDR 4K.
Any ideas why this is? What Hifi too any ideas? Thanks.
Because the TVs are uncalibrated.
Do you think it could be also the way the films are being shot?

What are the best 4K Blu Rays to demo i.e which have the max 4K film shot? Ta

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Those of you old enough to remember Technicolor movies, especially the so-called "swords and sandals" ones, were overly colourful in many ways. The Wizard of Oz is another perfect example. Presumably this was done to emphasise that the movies were in colour not black and white. You may be seeing something similar with HDR now, but it'll soon tone down.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm not overly impressed.i spent a bit of money upgrading my home cinema to 4k and I don't think it's been worth it.it is good a specially with colour.i could easily push it without blurring and you definitely need to have at least a 60" to appreciate it.other wise if you have a really good 1080p TV with a good blu ray player don't bother

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
I'm not overly impressed.i spent a bit of money upgrading my home cinema to 4k and I don't think it's been worth it.it is good a specially with colour.i could easily push it without blurring and you definitely need to have at least a 60" to appreciate it.other wise if you have a really good 1080p TV with a good blu ray player don't bother
Totally agree. Calibrated or not.

D

Deleted member 2457

I've decided to stick to my pre-order of the Oppo 203 4K Blu Ray player now, should be getting in a couple of weeks time!
thumbs_up.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Check out this clip too:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RtTIaa-ZgL0

Resolution makes no difference - true from what I have seen.

HDR does make a difference blacker blacks and brighter colours - although some think HDR is too dim for daytime, which basically leaves you screwed! I am still buying the Oppo for the little difference but is it worth it? Will see...

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
HDR does make a difference blacker blacks and brighter colours - although some think HDR is too dim for daytime, which basically leaves you screwed! I am still buying the Oppo for the little difference but is it worth it? Will see...

Your not supposed to watch films in the daylight, i always shut my curtains and dis-connect my phone before i watch any films.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
Check out this clip too:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RtTIaa-ZgL0

Resolution makes no difference - true from what I have seen.

You're less likely to appreciate the higher resolution on a small TV, that's for sure. But when you get to the point of mega-sized TVs that cover the wall, you'll notice it.

Think about it.

A 32 inch diagonal 21:9 1080p set has 1920 pixels x 1080 pixels. That's about 65.28 pixels per inch horizontally and 85.68 pixels per inch vertically.

Scale that up to (keeping the sums easy) a 96 inch diagonal set, and the pixel count drops to 21.78 horizontally and 28.56 vertically. A 96 inch 3860 x 2160 TV, however, would have 42.52 pixels per inch horizontally and 57.12 pixels per inch vertically.

So on a 32 inch 1080p set each pixel "measures" about 0.4 mm x 0.3 mm. On a 96 inch 1080p set the pixels "measure" 1.2 mm x 0.9 mm, which is getting pretty big, and which is why "huge" TV sets don't look that good if you sit up close.

The pixels on a 96 inch 3860 x 2160 TV, however, measure 0.6 mm x 0.4 mm, fairly close to those on a 32-inch 1080p set, and more less "grainy" to look at close up as a result.

Anyway, our smallest (of three) 4K TVs is a 48-incher, and that looks great - even if the wife insisted on having a curved one and insists on watching the flaming Gimore Girls morning noon and night.

D

Deleted member 2457

One thing I am noticing is that the picture appears to be different from 4K Blu Ray players from what I have seen. The Panasonic ub700 and ub900 went the blackest and the Samsung had a nice clear picture but not as much colour as the Panasonic, so I am hoping the Oppo will be just perfect. I won't be able to try it out until Xmas day though! As its a present.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
I've decided to stick to my pre-order of the Oppo 203 4K Blu Ray player now, should be getting in a couple of weeks time!  
just been reading about the player sounds great.it has a hdr converter on it for none hdr TVs I think I'm going to look at one of these

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
One thing I am noticing is that the picture appears to be different from 4K Blu Ray players from what I have seen.  The Panasonic ub700 and ub900 went the blackest and the Samsung had a nice clear picture but not as much colour as the Panasonic, so I am hoping the Oppo will be just perfect.  I won't be able to try it out until Xmas day though!  As its a present.  

How's the porridge, Goldilocks? :)

D

Deleted member 2457

I think I am now going to wait and see with the Oppo, I still got my Samsung and I like that, so may as well just wait and see with this Oppo. Perhaps read a few reviews and see what people say about it and then try if I still want it and get a discount.

D

Deleted member 2457

Just watching the Da Vinci Code and it is really good! Blacks stand out a lot, and with a slightly brighter image. It's good.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
Just watching the Da Vinci Code and it is really good!  Blacks stand out a lot, and with a slightly brighter image.  It's good.  
I watched Tarzan last night and I must admit it looked gorgeous in 4k and it was mastered in 2k

D

Deleted member 2457

seemorebtts said:
gel said:
Just watching the Da Vinci Code and it is really good! Blacks stand out a lot, and with a slightly brighter image. It's good.
I watched Tarzan last night and I must admit it looked gorgeous in 4k and it was mastered in 2k
thumbs_up.gif
Nice one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts