How about a new House Rule...

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Members must not post any questions asking "what is the best HDMI cable for £xx, or is there no difference between a £xx cable and a cheap cable?"

A

Anonymous

I think... if I may be so bold, in the thread you are referring to there may have been a somewhat adverse reaction by a few people but this only rises out of frustration. The issue of HDMI cables is a touchy and well documented one on these forums. I've said for a long time the technology should be explained a little better elsewhere, and if possible how it can be improved with price. I'm not surprised people are getting annoyed with having to explain the matter again when the last related thread a couple of days ago was 863 pages long.

It's not a personal thing, it's just that there is a limit to peoples tethers and as opinions are so strong on HDMI cables and the questions are so rampant I can see how tension may arise. Just my shilling.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
The suggestion was somewhat tongue in cheek tbh...

Of course it is a valid question, but it has been covered so many times, and on each occassion the result is always - always - the same. And some of the discussion is not always nice, in what is otherwise a fantasic and friendly community.

I have only been really active on these forums for a couple of months, and in that short space of time have joined the "oh no hear we go again camp". Not because I don't think the subject is valid, but because of the aforementioned break out of all out world war. So for some of those that have been active on this forum for a while (and with less than 100 posts I don't include myslef with the veterans, lol), the subject clearly grates, and I can understand why.

On the other hand, people coming on to the forum for the first time have a very valid question, and to be fair, the forum lets them down in this sense - there is no facility for "stickies" and the search function is broken. I tried searching "HDMI" myself to test this out, and none of the previous "WW3" threads came up (and the "more results" function doesn't work).

So it is understandable anyone new would not know (a) the bad feeling the subject can cause, and (b) the eventual outcome of every single discussion. And it would be a great pity if someone new asked the question, and never came back again because of the ensuing war.

ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Very sensible post actually. This question comes up sooo often now and, looking at the last post concerning it (that I'm aware of), the people who actually advocate trying out better cables can generally no longer be bothered to post, meaning all new members see is a load of posts from people saying "Don't bother, I tried it and there's no difference" or "This person makes cables for £5 which the other rip off companies charge £50 for" so new members no longer get any balanced advice. I'm not saying these people's opinions are wrong, just that they don't agree with what a lot of people see, but most of us really can't be bothered to face the arguments any more. Unfortunately this does mean some people are potentially missing out on improving their AV performance if they read all these views and, seeing none to the contrary on such a respected forum, therefore assume this is the accepted view.

I seriously believe we need a sticky or a blog post or something visibly permanent on the site from the WHF reviewers that we can refer any new HDMI posts to which reflects the opinion along the lines of "We see improvement in some cables, check out the reviews here, get a cable on a money back guarantee and make your own mind up". Any further posts can then be linked to this sticky and, hopefully, further argument can be avoided whilst still providing a balanced view.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Thank you Prof. I'm a bit surprised no one else has thrown their support behind such ideas - if no one cared then there wouldn't be the interest in the current thread that is still, I see, raging on.

Does the WHF team not have anything to say on the idea of "stickies" or any other such solution. I have read comments previously that allude, possibly, to a shortage of resources to fund any such development - perhaps the bean counters might take notice if they realised that offended forum newbies could conceivably stop buying the mag on the back of their experience here?

ÿ

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Ah, the ability of forums to self-dramatise - we've gone from annoying threads about cables to reducing the sales of the magazine in half a dozen moves.

Just to be clear:

1. No plans to add extra house rules - many on here seem to have problems adhering to the few there already are.

2. Stickies will be created when we feel a need, and simply offering our opinion isn't really what they're for.

3. The forum search function fix is being worked on.

A

Anonymous

"This question comes up sooo often now and, looking at the last post
concerning it (that I'm aware of), the people who actually advocate
trying out better cables can generally no longer be bothered to post,
meaning all new members see is a load of posts from people saying "Don't bother, I tried it and there's no difference" or "This person makes cables for £5 which the other rip off companies charge £50 for"
so new members no longer get any balanced advice. I'm not saying these
people's opinions are wrong, just that they don't agree with what a lot
of people see, but most of us really can't be bothered to face the
arguments any more. Unfortunately this does mean some people are
potentially missing out on improving their AV performance if they read
all these views and, seeing none to the contrary on such a respected
forum, therefore assume this is the accepted view."

Actually, the reverse is true as well. I'm sure there are as many people belonging to the cable sceptic lobby who no longer bother to post. I've not been long on this and other forums, but I can't help noticing that if people pose a cable question, generally speaking they're more likely to listen to the better cable brigade than the sceptics.

It's only the optical cable improvement myth that bothers me, by the way. I can and do accept that speaker cables make small differences to the sound but my ears (and my system) aren't good enough to test the hypothesis in any depth.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
emotion-5.gif
Andrew Everard:
Ah, the ability of forums to self-dramatise - we've gone from annoying threads about cables to reducing the sales of the magazine in half a dozen moves.

Just to be clear:

1. No plans to add extra house rules - many on here seem to have problems adhering to the few there already are.

2. Stickies will be created when we feel a need, and simply offering our opinion isn't really what they're for.

ÿ

Dramatic? Moi?
emotion-5.gif

Maybe, maybe not... the current debate has, IMO, escalated beyond simply "annoying" and I just wonder what the next newbie will be subjected to when they post the same question next week... or the week after that...

Was just trying to help...ÿ

Good to hear the search function problem is being worked on in general.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
margetti:

Dramatic? Moi?
emotion-5.gif

Maybe, maybe not... the current debate has, IMO, escalated beyond simply "annoying" and I just wonder what the next newbie will be subjected to when they post the same question next week... or the week after that...

They'll be advised by many, as this time, to use the search function which, providing its fixed, will serve them well.

It'll serve them better, however, if they have some confidence in themselves and buy a lead or two with the option to return them, and see for themselves. Its a hard line way of looking at it, but if people were told to do that or jsut flippin' get one, that'd be an end to all such threads.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:
It's only the optical cable improvement myth that bothers me, by the way. I can and do accept that speaker cables make small differences to the sound but my ears (and my system) aren't good enough to test the hypothesis in any depth.

What about coaxial digital cables? Optical, co-ax, hdmi, it's all digital, so how can any of the cables make a difference?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
margetti:
emotion-5.gif
Andrew Everard:

Just to be clear:

Good to hear the search function problem is being worked on in general.

Just to re-iterate what Andrew said, the search function on Forums has been fixed - I tested it yesterday - and the upgrade will be implemented next week. I'll post and let everyone know as soon as it's gone live.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Andy Clough:
Just to re-iterate what Andrew said, the search function on Forums has been fixed - I tested it yesterday -ÿ and the upgrade will be implemented next week. I'll post and let everyone know as soon as it's gone live.

emotion-2.gif
emotion-2.gif
emotion-2.gif
ÿ

A

Anonymous

so what your saying their isnt any difference between hdmi cables

Sliced Bread

Personally I don't think that they should be disallowed but if regular posters were to keep there discussions on the matter to a single thread, then when new posters ask about the topic we can post the URL to the main thread. At least that way it is a balanced topic with all peoples opinions in one place.

Just a thought.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JohnNewman:Personally I don't think that they should be disallowed but if regular posters were to keep there discussions on the matter to a single thread, then when new posters ask about the topic we can post the URL to the main thread. At least that way it is a balanced topic with all peoples opinions in one place. Just a thought.

could work.

Sliced Bread

al7478:
JohnNewman:Personally I don't think that they should be disallowed but if regular posters were to keep there discussions on the matter to a single thread, then when new posters ask about the topic we can post the URL to the main thread. At least that way it is a balanced topic with all peoples opinions in one place. Just a thought.

could work.

Why thank you :)

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JohnNewman:al7478:

could work.

Why thank you :)

LOL! YVW.

EDIT - tho id still happily see the back of such threads.

idc

There are so many posts about cables (and the other one is headphones) that they may be worthy of their own sites.

I agree with JohnNewman and I also think it would help if moderators were to; quickly move posts that have clearly been put into the wrong section and if they were to keep threads more on topic. One of my topics raised ended up in an exchange between two regular members about a BBQ...and I wasn't even invited. The two quickest ways to discourage new forum members is, for their posts to be unanswered or to get hijacked and go off topic.

I also wish that regular contributors, the ones we are looking to for meaningful advice (and obviously get satisfaction from giving it) would avoid jargon with new posters. When I first started I thought RCA, phono and analogue interconnects were three different types of cable, maybe they are.....

A

Anonymous

So, what is the "main" HDMI cable thread then that we can point everyone at?

I have a plan ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts