Hot Deals???

Harry Palmer

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
This is directed to the What Hi-Fi team but I’d be interested if anyone else has had a similar experience?

I followed the link yesterday from WHF for the Richer Sounds VIP offers, I have a modest budget but wanted to set myself up with a small home cinema system for the holidays, (under £1000)

I tried three separate Richer sounds stores trying to obtain a Sony BDP360/STR800 and a Panasonic TX 37S10. These where advertised at £119, £249 and £499 respectively. In practice after trying three south east stores only the receiver was available. I was told they could only offer me a ‘mulit-region’ blu-ray player at £149 and wouldn’t have any more at £119, and also that they had none of the Panasonic screens, and hadn’t ever received them. As an alternative I was offered a TX 37X10 and was told it was even better and that it was the same panel inside. After a few minutes research its clear this is an older, HD ready panel and not a true ‘full HD’ panel and certainly not a LCD.

I’m no cynic but please tell me does this all smell a bit fishy? i.e. get the customer on the phone with some ‘Hot Deals’ and then sell a more profitable alternative?

Any feedback would be helpful on either this or my selection.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I don't think it's 'fishy' - merely RIcher having limited stocks of a special deal that i'm sure got snapped up v.quickly where available (remember they have a lot of stores across the UK). I agree the hard sell you got on the phone could/should have been better, though...

Your selection is a good one, but you don't mention the speakers you plan to use?

An all-in-one alternative for the money, incidentally, could be the Sony KDL-37W5500 being sold at Sainsburys for £599 plus the Sony one-box Blu-ray system that wins the Group Test in our current issue: the Sony BDV-E300 (list price £400; available for less).

Harry Palmer

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the response Claire, I'm still dubious so it will be interesting if anyone else out there has had similar issues?
emotion-18.gif
bottom line is they have put me off rather than enthused me to shop there right now.

In the meantime I would prefer to stick to some seperates from a performance pov and flexibilty, but I will check the Sony screen out you suggest.

I am using some Epos ES12 in stereo for the time being and will need to add a small center and rears ealry next year but this can wait.

I intend on conecting the Sony receiver to my Cyrus amp and use Sony to just process and run the extra channels. I also have a old REL sub.

Thanks again!

A

Anonymous

I think you're reading too much into this. When a deal comes around, they're always going to be limited in numbers/stock. Add to that the fact that if you're on the mailing list, like me, you'll get notification of new deals along with thousands of other people too, and that you've really got to move fast something - you should see this as rather like those Aldi deals where you've got to get there really early to pick up on what you want.

Harry Palmer

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Maybe? However I did respond the same day the offer was posted. Also I wasn't just told they had sold out but rather they hadn't even had any or that they wouldn't get any more in so I should choose a multi-region version for a higher price, hence my doubt.

I appreciate the Richer approach and style of retailing hence wanting to shop there but I don't apprecite what in my opinion is switch selling to suit their margins on an advertised offer.

I'm now trying a few other retailers to see if i can get the same or close to the price on the items I actually want.

to be continued...

daveh75

Harry Palmer:I intend on conecting the Sony receiver to my Cyrus amp and use Sony to just process and run the extra channels. I also have a old REL sub.Be aware that, the sony STR-DH800 doesn't have front L+R pre-outs,so will be of no use if you're intending to connect it to your cyrus amp.

Richer Sounds

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

I saw the comments on this thread and wanted to take this opportunity to reply.

Indeed, as I've mentioned elsewhere on the forums, I can assure you the last thing we would want would be to antagonise customers by spending money on advertising products which we do not have in stock.

However, sometimes certain products can temporarily sell-out due to the relatively small sizes of our stores and this is especially so on special offers featured in our VIP ad campaigns, etc, although in these cases we always have further stock in our main warehouse.

Of course, if the product a customer is enquiring about is sold-out then we'd rather try and offer a suitable alternative instead of just sending customers home empty-handed.

Meanwhile, please do not hesitate to let me know if I can be of any further help.

Many thanks,

John Clayton
Operations Director
Richer Sounds

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts