Homemade Mains Cable

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Has anyone sucessfully made their own mains cables?

If so how much did the materials cost, and do you think it made a difference to your set up?

I am toying with either buying one off ebay or having a look at making my own, sourcing some high quality cable etc.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
It should defenitly improve a healthy function of the preamp/amp and there could be audible difference depending on how your components react to it.

But i only had the biggest audible difference with WireWorld mains cables, especially the Aurora model had good price versus audible difference. I have tried a few mains cables at my home, the Vandenhull, QED, Lapp, Supra (was doing good on the source and not the amp section), Kemp and the WireWorld off course. I wish i could have tried Atlas, Russ Andrews and Clearer audio but they seem to be not available in my country, i live in Belgium. But then again, i wouldn't have high expectations from them after hearing the WireWorld. The WirWorld mains cables are designed to act as a passive power conditioner in a way, i think that is main thing that they were so good in my system.

A review...

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/wireworld_5_2.htm

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
If you are going to do it make sure you have a multimeter to test it before plugging in!

You will need shielded cable, available from RS, an IEC connector and a plug. Plenty of patience and a lot of colour coded shrink wrap.

Remember when connecting only connect the shield to earth at one end to prevent ground loop humming. This is usually done at the plug end, whilst the shielding is NOT connected to the earth wire at the IEC connector end.

You can add a couple of ferrite clamps onto the cable near to the connectors, cover them with heat shrink for a professional looking job.

As is always the case if you are unsure DO NOT mess with electrics. TBH for the price of some of the mains cables nowadays, it isnt really worth the hassle IMO, but its a nice little project to keep you amused.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts