Home theatre replacing Hi Fi ( or not )

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I am a newbie to this so I need some help:

I am throwing out my old stereo (except speakers- nice sounding Diesis booksleves (made by same guy who now runs Ruark ) and would like to know if its cost effective to upgrade the TV home theatre to replace it or buy new Hi Fi equipment ? I do have a quite a few B/Ray & DVD music videos.

I have Pana 42PZ70B + Pana H/Theatre 450 + Sony B/Ray BDR360.

I was thinking of the Onkyo 608 or Denon 1911 but read that they are designed for Film/TV sound and are not that good with music.

I also listened to a Denon ( i think 2311 ) and some Focal 5.1 Domes . Sounded great but would have been £2000. I wonder if I can do better by sticking to Hi Fi seperates .

Could I replace the speakers first and add receiver later ?

Sorry this is a bit rambling.

Thanks,

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Welcome to the (madhouse) forum.

For music, a similarly priced AV receiver will be outperformed by a dedicated stereo amplifier.

If music is more important than movies, get stereo equipment.

Some forum users use an AV amp with a stereo amp connected via pre-outs. This gives them the best of both worlds.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply.

I did look to see if i could connect my old stereo amp to the Sony and then use my old speakers for the sound , but I noticed the output voltage from the Sony B/R was far too high for my old Amp .

Maybe I will look to see if the newer ones would work that way .

Thanks,

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Further to my previous post I have now had a look at the Yamaha V667 on the net and in recent posts on here and it seems very good for music aswell as film/tv.

What do you think of the Yamaha V667 + Focal Sib & co Sub 5.1 system ?

Thanks,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts