Home Cinema Upgrade

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Possibly. A little more info would be helpful such as what you have and what budget you are looking at to upgrade. Also, what are the main drivers for this e.g. home cinema, music, etc?

saffpar

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Reason is i just want a better system., have about £1000 to spend but if i'm not going to much of an improvement then i'll go for another all in one.Currently have Sony kdl40x, sky hd with QED cable, panasonic SA-HT 900 dvd player with component cable ,ps3 for blu ray with QED cable.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I've not heard your particular current system but, from my experience, the Panasonic all-in-one units generally leave a lot to be desired when it comes to sound. With a £1,000 you could easily afford to buy a decent dedicated surround receiver which will be able to accept the Linear PCM signal output by your PS3 for the HD audio formats (such as the Sony STR-DG820 or even the current WHF award winner, the Yamaha DSP-AX763) and pair this up with a decent separate speaker package such as Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 package or, if you need a style set, something like the Mission M-Cube's or one of the KEF packages at that price.
In my opinion, one of the above combinations will truly outclass your existing system, and any equivalent all-in-one systems you could get for the money. The PS3 is also now a very good quality DVD upscaler (updated to the latest firmware) so there would be no need for a separate DVD player. Don't just take my word for it though, book an appointment for a listen at a good dealer in their demo room and I'm sure you'll hear a big improvement for yourself.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
saffpar:
Reason is i just want a better system., have about £1000 to spend but if i'm not going to much of an improvement then i'll go for another all in one.Currently have Sony kdl40x, sky hd with QED cable, panasonic SA-HT 900 dvd player with component cable ,ps3 for blu ray with QED cable.

No brainer. As the prof says, even a budget receiver which will be able to link all your boxed to your screen for AV will be much better than those all in one efforts. For £1k I would go Sony STR-DA2400es (around £400) which will give you the Bravia link with your screen. As for speakers, if you want top sound, traditional speakers will offer you the best for your money. The Q Acoustics package prof mentioned with the Sony receiver, will blow you away compared to what you have. Even a style package like the Kefs, Jamos or Missions, will give you a big improvement.

TRENDING THREADS