Home cinema set up - too many choices!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys. I am going round and round in circles! I've been planning my set up for ages, but I really can't decide what to do so any advice would be great.

I have a 43" Pioneer 436SXE Plasma and Pioneer BDP-LX71. They are absolutely fantastic and to be honest, I haven't seen a better picture. (although i'd love the Full HD 50" Kuro!). So picture is sorted, now I just want sound to match.

My original idea was to get the B&W MT-30 set up and the SC-LX81 Receiver. I know this would be great, but i've been reading a few reports that say the MT-30 is good but overpriced because of the sub.

The other idea is one of the lower priced receivers (say this pioneer which looks like a good deal... http://www.leconcepts.com/products/pioneer-vsx-lx70-thx2-select-receiver-2.html) or an Onkyo/Yamaha and then get the Quad L-ite 5.1 package.

But then theres the Monitor Audio Radius R270 AV-12....

Do I need to spend £3000+ on the first option, or could I get a similar sound for less on the 2nd? The room is about 5mX4m.

I can afford either, but the first choice will take me a lot longer to save up for and im getting kind of impatient. So if anyone could give me their opinion, i'd really appreciate it. It won't be used for music, just for bluray and Xbox/TV.

Cheers. Greg

A

Anonymous

I would recommend hearing the tannoy revolution signature 5.1 set up for speakers, choose a pokey amp to go with it and get all of your cables thrown in for free. You could achieve this and get it all on buy now pay later interest free and proably get it installed for free too.

These speakers were the best i auditioned for purely home cinema purposes.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. They are expensive though and probably a bit big for the room. They look great, but I think I need them to be small speakers, no bigger than the monitor audios. Good idea with the buy now, pay later. I might try that.

A

Anonymous

im not sure that they are that much bigger than the R270's to be honest, and the are without a doubt amazing as a 5.1 system. Not too big for your room at all i would say.

Have you had a look at the m&k range? they are meant to be top notch for home cinema and the are pretty small speakers.

A

Anonymous

OK thanks - I'll check them ok. What amp would you match them up with?

A

Anonymous

Hi Pioneerblu

I'm in the same quandry as you ..having just bought the Pio 5090 plasma

was looking at the same bluray player and Pio amp with the MT30 set up but I don't think the style speakers would do it justice so am about to look at the B & W theatre system ,but I have reservations about the size of the speakers.

I watch the development of this thread with interest

A

Anonymous

I thought exactly the same thing. I like the B&W 685 theatre but the speakers are too big. Hope we get some good advice.

daveh75

pioneerblu: My original idea was to get the B&W MT-30 set up and the SC-LX81 Receiver. I know this would be great, but i've been reading a few reports that say the MT-30 is good but overpriced because of the sub.

you can buy the speakers seperately you know! so you could look at buying the sat's from the mt 30 package and pair them with a cheaper sub

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I would thoroughly recommend the Quad L-ites you mentioned at the beginning, based on my experience with the originals. ÿThese can also be upgraded/expanded by purchasing the 11 or 12 L2s. ÿI see the current price is £900+, which is still competitive. ÿThere are sometimes examples of the 'old' package on E-bay, of course - one at the moment, I believe, in 'as new' condition!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The B&W MT-30 is a great setup, but apparently it's the sub which really makes it (just ask Big Chris - he has the MT-30). This is going to be true on virtually any style system due to the physics of not getting great bass from small speakers. So although you could save money and get a cheaper sub, the package as a whole will suffer.
Sounds to me like your best bet is a bit of auditioning. Try out the B&Ws and then try out something like the KEF 3005SE or even the 2005.3 (as well as any other packages you like the look of). Only then can you really tell whether the extra £500 - £700 odd pounds is worth it to you.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
pioneerblu:Thanks for the reply. They are expensive though and probably a bit big for the room. They look great, but I think I need them to be small speakers, no bigger than the monitor audios. Good idea with the buy now, pay later. I might try that.

You could try the non Signature versions of the Tannoy Revolution, slightly smaller and cheaper with very similar sound. They will work very well with the Pioneer SC-LX71 - the only thing you will need to look at is a better subwoofer but that is easy enough.

A

Anonymous

There's so many choices to make, I know.

Would suggest buying your whole package from 1 dealer as you will strike a much better deal.

I would listen to the latest offerings from Yamaha / Onkyo, and try them against both a good style speaker package and a traditional one.
See what pleases your ears more!

I am a big fan of Monitor Audio's silver AV package. It has a great sub with pace and timing, the rears sit near the ceiling and are classy and small. Choice of fronts but the RS6's are slim and don't take up any more room than speakers on stands, but sound so much nicer.

The place that no other retailer could come close to on price is a family business.....Wilkinson's Hi Fi, tell them Trevor sent you. Can't beat word and mouth.

Oh, and before you think what I have pointed you to would be way out of budget, I think you will be amazed at the deal they will come up with.

Hope you get your set up sorted out for Xmas!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Greg. The PV1 is a monster! The MT-30 isn't overpriced because of the sub, it's bang on the money for the performance (and style) you're getting.

Yes. You'll get a better performance from 'proper' speakers, and if you can find space for them then I'd go for it. but, if you'd struggle to find a home for 5 (or, if you're like me, 7) big boxy speakers, the MT-30 is a great alternative.

you can come and check out mine if you wish. You'll be blown away! (Possibly quite literally if I crank it with 'Dark Knight' playing!)

;-)

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone. I think MT-30 is defo still the way I want to go. They are the perfect size, styling and quality. What amp do you use Big Chris?

A

Anonymous

Thanks mate. I was going to go "family" anyway at a place called Home Media in Maidstone, but I'll definitely check your guys out.

A

Anonymous

Scrap that Chris, I've just seen you've got the 875! Happy with it?

A

Anonymous

Hi
I've recently bought the Pioneer VSX-LX51 and a 7.1 KEF 3005se set with stands for £1950 from Sevenoaks. It sounds wicked so I would suggest an upgrade on the amp would make it even better.
Have fun.

A

Anonymous

pioneerblu:Thanks mate. I was going to go "family" anyway at a place called Home Media in Maidstone, but I'll definitely check your guys out.

I agree with Chris, the MT-30's are a great system, haven't heard anything in its price bracket to better it. You have to go to the likes of the MA RS6 av package to get more musicality, on a more spacious room they are so good. I went for the RS8's fronts which are even nicer.

A new crop of AV amps have come out since I bought my 875 but with there being still a few around at really low prices. On music it sounds excellent, one thought is to use the money saved to buy a couple of BT MTU units off Ebay, decent power cords, and speaker cable. The uplift to both the picture (TV) and sound will surprise you.

Also consider a Sony 970 DVR with 250G hard drive. Great for recording and downloading your CD collection onto. By by CD player!

A

Anonymous

I actually bought my LX71 in the states while I was over there. Its called the BDP 51fsd over there. I got it on amazon.com for $499 so just under £300 with a monster HDMI. Had it sent to my sister in-law who lives in NYC.I think its absolutely brilliant and I'd pay the Uk price for it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts