Home cinema package

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there ladies and gentlemen

I am a novice in need of a bit (possibly a lot) of advice on my home cinema project. I will list my questions individually, but also If I could have some overall comments about my proposed system, it would be most appreciated.

Projector - InFocus IN76, InFocus IN78, Planar PD7010. Which projector should I go for and why? Is there much difference between the IN76 and the IN78?

AV receiver - I am currently torn between the Onkyo TX-SR605 and the Yamaha DSP-AX861SE. I am of the understanding that the Onkyo supports more recent HD audio codecs, but is the Yamaha a better receiver? Which would you recommend?

Style speaker packages - I am really torn here although I am leaning towards the Quad L-ite system. The others that I am cosidering are the Kef KHT3005SE and the B&W MT-20. Any recommendations here?

As you can see, I need a lot of advice. Apart from comments on the individual components, what are your thoughts on the overall package. Are there any other compnents that you would recommend for similar money.

Many thanks.

Chris

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
OK, plenty of questions to deal with here! The main difference between the InFocus IN76 and IN78 is that the latter uses Texas Instruments' DarkChip3 chipset, a more sophisticated digital micromirror device than the one used in the IN76. There's also a modest increase in contrast ratio, up from 3000:1 to 3500:1.

If you can run to the extra cost of the IN78 I'd go for it, although the IN76 is terrific value now the price has dropped to £999. It depends to some extent on what your source component is - are you using a DVD player?

As for the receiver, we haven't tested the Yamaha, but the Onkyo TX-SR605 was our Product of the Year 2007 so comes highly recommended. Again, the Onkyo's support for HD audio codecs means it's futureproofed, and if you're planning to add a Blu-ray player to your system at some point, it's the one I'd go for.

Of the speaker packages you suggest, I'd go for the KEFs, another 2007 Product of the Year that will work beautifully with the Onkyo receiver.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Andy for the reply.

I will be using my PS3 as the DVD and BluRay player. I know a normal bluray player would be better, but maybe later.

I agree with you that the Onkyo is future proofed.

With regards to the speakers, what is better about the Kef than the Quad.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS