home cinema for new orangery

A

Anonymous

sorry don't know what happened there??

i'm wanting some advice on installing cables in the walls/ceilings in a new orangery i'm having built.

is there a good company in the north east 'county durham' who can advise and carry out the work?

i need cables installing for a 5.1 system, wall mounted tv, sky etc.

i haven't got the tv or 5.1 system, just want all wires installed while the build is taking place.

thanks

A

Anonymous

thanks for the link, dropped them an email and i'll see what they recommend.

just wanting everthing neat and tidy from the start, is it the right way to do things, the cabling in 1st then the speakers etc later, or get the speakers etc 1st, then worry about cables/wires?

just i don't think i'm gonna have much time to buy everthing before the orangery is finished.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Putting the cabling in first certainly makes sense, as long as you know where you want the TV and all the speakers to go in the room. You can decide on all the AV kit later.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
In this context, what's an orangery? Don't get many these days. Not sure you ever used to get them with home cinemas in either.

I thought it was a fancy name given to the room with the Sunbed! :shifty:

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Nno idea of yr budget or room etc but I would find a company familiar with home cinema acoustics first. The sparks side is easy and a good HiFi shop will sort the kit but if the room is poor then you are wasting yr money. IMO.

jolls

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Nno idea of yr budget or room etc but I would find a company familiar with home cinema acoustics first. The sparks side is easy and a good HiFi shop will sort the kit but if the room is poor then you are wasting yr money. IMO.

An extremely valid point. I imagine the glass would reflect the sound all over the place. Seek expert advice.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

mykspence said:
BenLaw said:
In this context, what's an orangery?

It's a conservatory with a poncy roof.

I genuinely thought it was somewhere you grew oranges. Well, you live and learn.
smile.png

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I genuinely thought it was somewhere you grew oranges. Well, you live and learn.
smile.png

If you did, it would certainly help the acoustics.....maybe a Grape Vine as well, to give greater coverage.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Both mykspence and BigBernardBresslaw are right. No, I didn't know what an orangery was either. According to Wikipedia, "The name reflects the original use of the building as a place where citrus trees[1] were often wintered in tubs under cover, surviving through harsh frosts though not expected to flower and fruit."

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I got married in an Orangery about 40mins south of Brussels - 4 years ago last Thursday!

Agree with the points above about sound - hard surfaces mean it bounces in odd ways, so anything to dampen it (rugs, plants etc. will be good). Also, there'll be lots of light - so take that into account in deciding where your screen will go. Best to get someone to stop over and talk you through options on-site, rather than find out that your layout means you're in constant glare.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

thanks for all the replies!!

yeah basically it's a conservatory with boxing out around the perimeter, underneath the roof, ideal for routing wires round.

ill hopefully have the plans on Friday, and john from jsc has been in touch about going through what I would require.

i never thought about what the sound quality would be like with all the glass, so expensive equipment might be a waste of money?

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Is that for real or CGI??? Looks amazing, a "real" Tumbler or a picture? Just can't get my head round it that this may actually be 100%.

A

Anonymous

Andy Clough said:
And if you're putting in a TV, you'll need to think about blinds to block out some of the light.

we'll be having blinds installed to all windows and doors. not much i'll be able to do about the the glass roof though

the tv will be mounted on the south wall facing north, and it will be underneath the boxed ceiling so maybe in shade for some of the day?

whats gonna be the best screen for the room, plasma/lcd/led?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts