home cinema for low volume

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi ,

I am setting up home cinema for the first time and have bought onkyo 609 and need some help for deciding speakers.

Most of my llistning will be on low volumes as i live in semi detached home and specially kids sleeping upstairs at night.

I had my eyes on dali zensor 5 package or ma bx5 .But now i am think that will they be any good on low volumes or should i buy

some setalite speaker systems like canton 125.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Donno much about how your suggested speakers would work in that scenario, but worth considering is also the way in which your receiver handles reproduction at lower (or 'normal') volumes. If I'm not mistaken Onkyo often employs Audyssey in their receivers, and the finer models have Dynamic EQ (and Dynamic Volume). Sadly it doesnt look like the TX-NR609 has Dynamic EQ? I have this system on my Denon, and at pretty much any volume level I choose it gives a very distinct and dynamic sound all 'round. I never feel as though I'm missing anything. Reference-levels are a mute issue in my case, regardless of the time of day (or night) I turn the system on. I contribute that to Audyssey. Dynamic Volume is perhaps more a question of taste, and I personally think it works great with television, not movies (dvd/blu-ray).

You should really read more about Audyssey and it's Dynamic EQ in particular. Here is what they say on their website and I can pretty much assure you that the statements they make are accurate:

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/dynamic-eq

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/dynamic-eq"Audyssey Dynamic EQ maintains bass, clarity and surround sound at low volumes letting you enjoy late-night movies and television. Music, movies and games are mixed at high volumes and they’re meant to be played back at high volumes (reference level). In the studio, composers, musicians and engineers hear every detail. But in a home theater, people turn the volume down and sound quality suffers – voices change and bass and surround sound disappear. Audyssey developed proprietary methods that calculate the differences between reference level and playback level in real time. Dynamic EQ is the first technology of its kind to combine information from incoming source levels with actual output sound levels in the room, while taking into account human perception and room acoustics. The result is something never before possible – bass response, octave-to-octave balance and surround impressions that are detailed and accurate at any volume."

Best of luck choosing and setting up your system!

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Naturally you should also take into account the automated calibration done by Audyssey, cause Dynamic EQ and/or Dynamic Volume only works if you have set your system up with the calibration-system. I recommend you follow their instructions very carefully and you will (hopefully) be rewarded.

A

Anonymous

Can u please guide me towards some models of high efficiency speakers

A

Anonymous

i downloaded the specsheet of 609 and found dynamic eq in there. onkyo didnt used it as a selling point in the main specs?????

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
siddidy said:
i downloaded the specsheet of 609 and found dynamic eq in there. onkyo didnt used it as a selling point in the main specs?????

Really? When I looked at Onkyo's homepage that particular model only had Audyssey 2EQ with Dynamic Volume, but didnt include Dynamic EQ. Entry-level receivers always have down-scaled versions of Audyssey. I believe you have to step up to model TX-NR709 in order to get the more advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT which one also contains Dynamic EQ + Dynamic Volume.

A

Anonymous

only dynamic volume I've tried so far - that I really thought worked for my System is Dolby Volume

but it only tends to be found on higher end receivers

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I would look at the Q acoustic range, very clear sounding speakers which pick up loads of detail. Great at low volume.

A

Anonymous

RickyDeg said:
siddidy said:

Really? When I looked at Onkyo's homepage that particular model only had Audyssey 2EQ with Dynamic Volume, but didnt include Dynamic EQ. Entry-level receivers always have down-scaled versions of Audyssey. I believe you have to step up to model TX-NR709 in order to get the more advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT which one also contains Dynamic EQ + Dynamic Volume.

but i found the dynamic eq and volume both in the data sheet

OTHER FEATURES
• Audyssey 2EQ® for Room Acoustic Correction
• Audyssey Dynamic EQ® for Loudness Correction
• Audyssey Dynamic Volume® to Maintain Optimal
Listening Level and Dynamic Range
• Independent Crossover Adjustment for Each
Channel (40/50/60/70/80/90/100/120/150/200 Hz)
• A/V Sync Control (Up to 800 ms at 48 kHz)
• Tone Control (Bass/Treble) for Front L/R Channels

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Oh... curious! :? As long as its there and you can activate it in the Audyssey set-up menus you're all set! Experiment! Just remember to differentiate Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume - try em both out by themselves and/or combined if the Onkyo settings allows it. It's also personal taste if these features are to your liking with the speakers you choose, but for me it works great.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
not sure if this is still ongoing but i have ma set up and loves been driven is good low but i think you really need a sat/sub system and the sub is what will give off frequencys that will bug people so you can alter the sub settings at night. Just imo id try and get a great deal on some kef eggs.

all the best

A

Anonymous

smuggs said:
not sure if this is still ongoing but i have ma set up and loves been driven is good low but i think you really need a sat/sub system and the sub is what will give off frequencys that will bug people so you can alter the sub settings at night. Just imo id try and get a great deal on some kef eggs.

all the best

Me and my other half dont like the looks of the sats and really want some taraditional looks in the living room. What if we go for a 5.0 setup with ma bx5 so no subwoofer at all???

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i really think you need to go 4x bx1's with a sub and then with the stands should look good and you will have a even sound and it should be able to deliver at low volume where your amp will have some night settings which will cut very high and very frequencys .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts