Home Cinema for £1,000

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
My g/f's dad asked me what he should get as a home cinema system as he's just bought a new BDP and plasma and may be looking to set it up as a 5.1.

I said he should look at a minimum of £1,000. Is that fair or can you get anything semi decent much cheaper?

Anyway if you had a grand for speakers and an amp what would you go for?

Thanks

Joel

A

Anonymous

What about this? £60 above budget though
emotion-5.gif

http://www.hispek.com/P/Denon-AVR2310-Q-Acoustic-2000B-Home-Cinema-Package-in-Black(AVR23102000BPACK).aspx

A

Anonymous

Denon AVR-1910 Home Cinema Receiver - £450.00

Q Acoustics 2000 5.1 Home Cinema Speaker Package - £495.00

*** No other system will beat this for under £1k, IMO ***

A

Anonymous

ValianTX:

Surely the extra £100 to swap the Denon 1910 for the Denon 2310 could be justified? Same speaker package but a step up on receiver for a hundred quid
emotion-18.gif
??

John Duncan

Personally I'd get a Yamaha just because I like them. But the Q Acoustics package is certainly where I'd start, yeah. Course, if your FiL's BD player has multichannel outputs you could buy any old receiver (with multichannel ins) from eBay for 50-odd quid...

A

Anonymous

Daveee:ValianTX:

Surely the extra £100 to swap the Denon 1910 for the Denon 2310 could be justified? Same speaker package but a step up on receiver for a hundred quid
emotion-18.gif
??

AGREED! If the difference is just £100.00, then it is a fantastic bargain! The 2310 was an £800.00 amp - how they can sell it this cheap is a wonder!!!

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

A

Anonymous

emotion-1.gif
JoelSim:

Thanks fellas.

Any more for any more?

Just bear in mind if you did advise him to go for that package, he would have to go and collect it. From reading here regularly (and making a few purchases myself) I think that would be a pretty tough deal to beat. I'd shop around though you may get the separate components slightly cheaper from a couple of different retailers. If not though thats still a cracking deal for 2 award winners anyway. I can vouch for the amp and have heard rave reviews about the speakers on here as well. Good luck with the hunt
emotion-1.gif

Obviously, the more you spend, the better performance you will get & spearates are usually better than home cinema in a box systems. Having said that, a few of the home cinema in a box systems are no slouch either, & offer excellent value for money.

Check these out:

http://whathifi.com/Review/Sony-BDV-E300/

http://www.richersounds.com/product/1-box-home-cinema-systems/panasonic/scbt205/pana-scbt205-blk

I note that he already has a blu-ray player. In that case, the above suggestions are appropriate. Also look at the KEF KHT2005.3 speaker package.

Teufel has some tasty packages to suit all budgets & have generally good reviews: http://www.teufel.eu/Homecinema/

They also offer an 8 week return policy, so you can demo your system at home for upto 8 weeks, & return it if you don't like it.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
Thanks fellas.

Any more for any more?

Another system you might want to consider is the Onkyo TX-SR607 and KEF 2005.3 Speaker package for under £1k. However, I still feel there isn't any better system for the money other than what was recommended, especially with that Denon AVR-2310 amp!

If only I had some loose change...sigh
emotion-6.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:
My g/f's dad asked me what he should get as a home cinema system as he's just bought a new BDP and plasma and may be looking to set it up as a 5.1.

I said he should look at a minimum of £1,000. Is that fair or can you get anything semi decent much cheaper?

Anyway if you had a grand for speakers and an amp what would you go for?

Thanks

Joel

If you can add £100 or so more to the budget, I would get these before they are sold out - the price used to be double this. And I'd add the Sony 2400es to it for a very good system at just a few quid over £1100. The subwoofer alone used to retail at £750 before the new RX speakers came out a few months ago.

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/monitor_audio_r90_av-12.shtml

A

Anonymous

Dont forget you will need a couple of hundred quid for stands and cables.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
He's now saying that £1k is too much.

Does anyone know anything about those Home Cinema systems in a box at the likes of Dixons?

A

Anonymous

What about something like this on E-Bay (Sony - Item No: 250551458327) or (Onkyo - Item No: 220529434925)?

This is a receiver and speaker package and should be well within his budget. How good they are, I've no idea.

Can his blu-ray player decode the HD soundtracks onboard?

He should have just gone for the home cinema in a box blu-ray system from either Sony or Panasonic and he would have been sorted, all for £400.00.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
ValianTX:
What about something like this on E-Bay (Sony - Item No: 250551458327) or (Onkyo - Item No: 220529434925)?

This is a receiver and speaker package and should be well within his budget. How good they are, I've no idea.

Can his blu-ray player decode the HD soundtracks onboard?

He should have just gone for the home cinema in a box blu-ray system from either Sony or Panasonic and he would have been sorted, all for £400.00.

I agree. I would sell the bd player and get the new Sony BD system that recently got 5 stars.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Yamaha RXV365 and Q Acoustics 1010i package from Richer Sounds - 500 quid the pair...the amp only gets 3 stars here , but the speakers get 5 , for £500 it looks hard to beat ..

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:JohnDuncan:Yamaha RXV365 and Q Acoustics 1010i package from Richer Sounds - 500 quid the pair...the amp only gets 3 stars here , but the speakers get 5 , for £500 it looks hard to beat ..

That would be superb for the money.

John Duncan

Would, wouldn't it? Plenty of alternative receivers between 140 and 200 quid at Richers if the Yamaha doesn't float your boat, but if you can still get those speakers for that price that'd be a fabulous start. If 500's still too much, buy the speakers anyway and look round for a s/h receiver. if that's still too much, you're in the wrong place for advice
emotion-2.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Would, wouldn't it? Plenty of alternative receivers between 140 and 200 quid at Richers if the Yamaha doesn't float your boat, but if you can still get those speakers for that price that'd be a fabulous start. If 500's still too much, buy the speakers anyway and look round for a s/h receiver. if that's still too much, you're in the wrong place for advice
emotion-2.gif

Head of Technology delivery?

Nice.

Could you fast-track a new pair of headphones to me then please? My address is...

John Duncan

JoelSim:
JohnDuncan:Would, wouldn't it? Plenty of alternative receivers between 140 and 200 quid at Richers if the Yamaha doesn't float your boat, but if you can still get those speakers for that price that'd be a fabulous start. If 500's still too much, buy the speakers anyway and look round for a s/h receiver. if that's still too much, you're in the wrong place for advice
emotion-2.gif

Head of Technology delivery?

Nice.

Could you fast-track a new pair of headphones to me then please? My address is...

Yes*

*twelve months late, and £4m over budget.

TRENDING THREADS