Home Cinema Cables and Receiver Question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
At current i have an Arcam Solo (Music) with MA RS6's and they're connected with QED Anniversary XT Single Wire.
I have just invested in some MA RS1's for rears and the RSLCR centre channel, effectively the RS6AV package but with the betterer back speakers (in my opinion)

My first question:
I was looking at the Denon AVR-2809 as my Receiver, would this be a decent choice? I haven't seen any reviews of it (or any of the other mid range AVR receivers) but i detest the look of the Yamaha - despite the good reviews.

I have an Xbox 360 and the Panasonic DMP-BD30 which need to be connected with an HDMI to the receiver and then receiver to a Panasonic 37' Plasma.

Second question:
Would the QED [purple range name here] be suitable? I was going for the nice colour to please the other half also ;op
And should i invest in further runs of Anniversary cable or would i see a noticeable difference in the Revelation cable. I like the look of it, and the Airloc system seems quite hyped...

Third Question:
Is there a power cord that would look similar to the speaker / connect cables?
I would like a good one, as some people seem to live by them, but was looking at the Russ Andrews PowerKord thingie.

Final Question:
People seem to be suggesting some weird solutions to the "Using the front speakers for cinema and stereo", if i connected the the Solo and Receiver to the RS6's (not the same terminal) and only used one at a time, would they try and melt each other?

Thanks in advance for any help ^^

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Anthony Harper:At current i have an Arcam Solo (Music) with MA RS6's and they're connected with QED Anniversary XT Single Wire.
I have just invested in some MA RS1's for rears and the RSLCR centre channel, effectively the RS6AV package but with the betterer back speakers (in my opinion)

My first question:
I was looking at the Denon AVR-2809 as my Receiver, would this be a decent choice? I haven't seen any reviews of it (or any of the other mid range AVR receivers) but i detest the look of the Yamaha - despite the good reviews.

I have an Xbox 360 and the Panasonic DMP-BD30 which need to be connected with an HDMI to the receiver and then receiver to a Panasonic 37' Plasma.

Second question:
Would the QED [purple range name here] be suitable? I was going for the nice colour to please the other half also ;op
And should i invest in further runs of Anniversary cable or would i see a noticeable difference in the Revelation cable. I like the look of it, and the Airloc system seems quite hyped...

Third Question:
Is there a power cord that would look similar to the speaker / connect cables?
I would like a good one, as some people seem to live by them, but was looking at the Russ Andrews PowerKord thingie.

Final Question:
People seem to be suggesting some weird solutions to the "Using the front speakers for cinema and stereo", if i connected the the Solo and Receiver to the RS6's (not the same terminal) and only used one at a time, would they try and melt each other?

Thanks in advance for any help ^^

First of all, I love the fact that you want purple cables on show!!

Have you got the RSW12 subwoofer?

The Denon 2809 would be fine but don't settle for just that one. If you only need 2 hdmi in, look at the 2808 which you can get for under £500. Also, check out the Sony 2400es (£370) and the 3400es (circa £600). I have the dearer Sony and it is amazing with the RS speakers.

As for speaker cable, you are better off using the decent stuff for your front speakers (I would go for Chord) and lesser for your rear speakers (I would go with QED micro).

I've got one of the Power Max cables from Russ Andrews - they are purple! For me, they do a decent job - I've not done A, B testings.

It's not a weird solution - it's the best solution. And yes, you would ruin your components by plugging them all in together. The receivers I've mentioned and the 2809 all have front left and right pre outs which is what you need. You just connect your receiver to your Solo (any spare RCA input) with some stereo interconnects. Set the volume on the Arcam to say 12 O'clock and run the auto calibration on your receiver. Once that's done, when you want to watch a film, you turn receiver and Solo on and turn the volume up to 12 O'clock on the Solo and select the input that you have used to connect the receiver. Voila. Volume is now controlled by the receiver. When you want to listen to music with the Solo, you don't need the receiver on. I should have added; your RS6s need to be connected to your Solo and the other speakers and sub to your receiver.

A

Anonymous

Nice, thanks for your detailed reply!

I have heard bad and good things about the Sony Receivers ... I like the Denon receivers, however, and will hopefully be replacing my bluray player with the Denon BluRay transport somewhen, so would make a good visual match.

I have been considering, as i say, the 2809 and now the 3808, which should be cheap now... Is there any specific reason why i should sway one way or the other ..?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Anthony Harper:Nice, thanks for your detailed reply!

I have heard bad and good things about the Sony Receivers ... I like the Denon receivers, however, and will hopefully be replacing my bluray player with the Denon BluRay transport somewhen, so would make a good visual match.

I have been considering, as i say, the 2809 and now the 3808, which should be cheap now... Is there any specific reason why i should sway one way or the other ..?

The 3808 is much better.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
1st Question: Unsure on the Denon as I haven't read any reviews either.

2nd Question: The QED purple range is the HDMI-P range I believe (mine are purple anyway) and they are an excellent Award Winning Interconnect.

3rd Question: I disagree with Gerrard here. The Silver Aniversary XT again is an excellent Award Winning cable. I see no need to change it for Chord. Also, mixing and matching might give you two different cables with different sound characteristics.

Rather I'd either get more Anniversay XT for your other speakers so they're all on XT, or change them all to the Revelation or a good (5 star rated) Chord cable. Whereas I have no doubt the Revelation / expensive 5 star Chord is a better cable, I question whether you'd notice any real difference with cinema as cables tend to make quite subtle changes and cinema isn't the most musical of mediums. Personally, I'd save the money and get some more XT.

TRENDING THREADS