Home cinema advice for a Pioneer 428XD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Advice please! I own a Pioneer 428XD and want to build a home cinema system. I am considering the following items:

Yamaha RX-V1900

Pioneer BDP-LX71

KEF KHT3005SE

If this represents the limit of my budget, have I got the balance between the three components right? Or should I buy eg a cheaper amp and more expensive speakers?

Many thanks.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
No argument with the Pioneer and Yamaha, which we've just reviewed here. The speakers are very good, although the Yamaha is perfectly capable of driving even better ones if you decide to upgrade at a later date.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
The Pioneer is clearly a top class Blu-Ray player, but the difference in quality over something in the £200+ price bracket will be marginal with your TV. ÿI have a 4280 (basically the same as yours) and I think that Blu-Ray is marvellous, but you don't have to worry about upscaling DVD as the TV will do that. ÿThe 428/4280 isn't Full HD, after all - although there are compensations in other ways. That would allow you to buy better speakers now and IMHO that would make a much bigger difference if you're going with a receiver of the 1900's quality. ÿMany people on here have put forward the view that HD sound is at least as exciting as HD pictures.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks to you both. Given what Sorreltiger said, would this be a better combination for the Pioneer 428 and Yamaha 1900?

Panasonic DMP-BD55

B&W 685 Theatre

topbloke55

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
I also have the Pioneer as you will see below. ÿI auditioned the Panasonic and Pioneer Blu-ray's on my TV and the Pioneer was better in my view.

With either you can't go wrong.

Do you have the correct settings for the Pioneer from another site? ÿIf not I can send you a link, they are a very good starting point for optimisation of the picture.

A

Anonymous

That would be very helpful. I've not optimised the picture at all.

topbloke55

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Here are the setting for the HDMI inputs, for the Blu-ray or Sky HD.ÿÿFor SKY HD, PS3, Blue Ray or HD/DVD (BLUE RAY, PS3 OR HD/DVD YOU NEED TO ADJUST PURE CINEMA)(SKY HD SET PURE CINEMA TO OFF)____________________________________________________________AV SELECTION ÿ***MOVIE***
CONTRAST ÿ30BRIGHTNESS ÿ 0COLOUR ÿ-2TINT ÿ+2 Towards GreenSHARPNESS ÿ-15
PRO ADJUST > PURE CINEMAFILM MODE ÿOFF ÿ ÿ ÿ ÿ ÿ ÿ(BLUE RAY/HD DVD Smooth or Advanced)ÿTEXT OPTIMISATION OFF ÿ ÿ ÿ ÿ ÿ ÿ
INTELIGENT MODE ÿOFF
PICTURE DETAILDRE ÿOFF (Low if you prefer)BLACK LEVEL ÿOFFACL ÿOFFENHANCER MODE ÿ2 (1 if you prefer)GAMMA ÿ2
COLOUR DETAIL ÿMANUAL (HOLD ENTER FOR 3 SECS)COLOUR TEMP ÿ ÿR High ÿ-2 ÿG High ÿ 0 ÿB High ÿ+2 ÿR Low ÿ-1 ÿG Low ÿ ÿ0 ÿB Low ÿ -1 ÿÿ ÿÿ ÿ ÿ ÿÿCTI ÿOFFCOLOUR MANAGEMENT ÿ ÿR ÿ 0 ÿY ÿ 0 ÿG ÿ 0 ÿc ÿ 0 ÿ ÿB ÿ 0 ÿM ÿ ÿ ÿ -7
COLOUR SPACE ÿ1ÿNOISE REDUCTION
Field NR ÿOFFAll others ÿOFFÿOTHERSIP MODE ÿ1

topbloke55

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Here are the settings for the inbuilt Freeview tuner.

AV SELECTION ÿUSER

CONTRAST ÿ27
BRIGHTNESS ÿ 0
COLOUR ÿ-8
TINT ÿ 0
SHARPNESS ÿ-15

PRO ADJUST > PURE CINEMA
FILM MODE ÿOFF
TEXT OPTIMISATION OFF

INTELIGENT MODE ÿOFF

PICTURE DETAIL

DRE ÿOFF (Low if you prefer)
BLACK LEVEL ÿOFF
ACL ÿOFF
ENHANCER MODE ÿ2
GAMMA ÿ1

COLOUR DETAIL ÿMANUAL (HOLD ENTER FOR 3 SECS)
COLOUR TEMP ÿÿ

ÿR High ÿ+2
ÿG High ÿ-2
ÿB High -14
ÿR Low ÿ+1
ÿG Low ÿ ÿ0
ÿB Low ÿ -1

CTI ÿOFF

COLOUR MANAGEMENTÿ
ÿR ÿ 0
ÿY ÿ+1
ÿG ÿ 0
ÿc ÿ 0
ÿ ÿB ÿ 0
ÿM ÿ ÿ ÿ -2

COLOUR SPACE ÿ1

NOISE REDUCTION

Field NR ÿOFF
All others ÿOFF

OTHERS
IP MODE ÿÿ1ÿ

topbloke55

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
And the settings for NON-HDMI inputs.

AV SELECTION ÿUSER

CONTRAST ÿ27
BRIGHTNESS ÿ 0
COLOUR ÿ-8
TINT ÿ 0
SHARPNESS ÿ-15

PRO ADJUST > PURE CINEMA
FILM MODE ÿOFF (BLUE RAY/HD DVD Smooth or Advanced)ÿ
TEXT OPTIMISATION OFF (BLUE RAY/HD DVD ON)

INTELIGENT MODE ÿOFF

PICTURE DETAIL
DRE ÿLOW
BLACK LEVEL ÿOFF
ACL ÿOFF
ENHANCER MODE ÿ2
GAMMA ÿ1

COLOUR DETAIL ÿMANUAL (HOLD ENTER FOR 3 SECS)
COLOUR TEMP ÿÿ
ÿR High ÿ+5
ÿG High ÿ 0
ÿB High ÿ-14
ÿR Low ÿ+1
ÿG Low ÿ ÿ0
ÿB Low ÿ -1

CTI ÿOFF
COLOUR MANAGEMENTÿ
ÿR ÿ 0
ÿY ÿ+1
ÿG ÿ 0
ÿc ÿ 0
ÿ ÿB ÿ 0
ÿM ÿ ÿ ÿ -3

COLOUR SPACE ÿ1

NOISE REDUCTION
Field NR ÿOFF
All others ÿOFF

OTHERS
IP MODE ÿ1ÿ

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I have the DRE on low and sharpness on 0. ÿIt's just a matter of taste, but I found "off" and "-15" a bit soft. ÿAnyway, the important stuff is everything else for colour and contrast. ÿAs topbloke has said, you'll end up with a fabulous picture if you follow the guidelines.

A

Anonymous

Thankyou both very much: now have an even better picture (which I didn't think possible!).

Went for the Yamaha RX-V1900, Panasonic DMP-BD35 and the Kef KHT3005SE in the end. Currently being enthralled by Band of Brothers on blu-ray ... incredible.

A

Anonymous

will these settings work on a pioneer 4270 too? ÿtempted to give them a try...

A

Anonymous

Ahhhh, my last TV, now residing with the folks.

But a spin of the Digital Video Essentials disk will get your settings sorted out. Works well.

HD Elvis

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
The problem with using general settings like the ones mentioned here is that not every tv is the same and it all comes down to personal preference. It has been proven after ISF calibration that these settings are way off on some peoples display. At the end of the day its what looks good to you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts