Home Audio Newbie

Woodford

May 30, 2021
Visit site
Recently purchased a condo which was pre-wired
5 in ceiling speakers (on 2 floors) and a set of outdoor speakers (small deck) speakers are Origin Research.

there are also multiple Cat 5e cables protruding from wall in areas where TVs would go (LR, Bedroom, Family Room)
All cables were run to a junction box in basement- no terminations
Previous owners had contracted for pre-wiring but never finished install

I don’t have a clue about current stereo systems
40 years ago I had a stereo receiver that had an AB switch for 2 pairs of speakers

I have been trying to find out the type of equipment I would need to complete the system
I’ve looked at numerous web sites - manufacturers etc but I feel they presume a certain basic familiarity with the systems which I don’t have

any assistance with the componentry I would need or pointing in a good direction would be greatly appreciated

obviously I’m not an audiophile- so I’m looking for a reasonably priced solution

thank you in advance for any help

Tom

Gray

Previous owners had contracted for pre-wiring but never finished install
I have been trying to find out the type of equipment I would need to complete the system
What would you be completing Tom?
Who's to say they even knew what they were doing?
Presumably you just want to make use of the ceiling speakers, in which case, as Insider said above, say what they are if you can.
Also, say which music sources you'd like to listen to and whether it must be multiroom - or can it be one decent main room system - something that normal (hi-fi) people prefer.
In that case, state your budget and you will get plenty of component suggestions from the members of this forum.

Woodford

May 30, 2021
Visit site
What would you be completing Tom?
Who's to say they even knew what they were doing?
Presumably you just want to make use of the ceiling speakers, in which case, as Insider said above, say what they are if you can.
Also, say which music sources you'd like to listen to and whether it must be multiroom - or can it be one decent main room system - something that normal (hi-fi) people prefer.
In that case, state your budget and you will get plenty of component suggestions from the members of this forum.

Woodford

May 30, 2021
Visit site
The speakers are Origin Acoustics - not sure of the model #

I listen to the bulk of my music from Spotify

I am interested in utilizing the existing speakers -

would not be interested in playing different music in different rooms - one or two rooms, same music

as far as budget I would like to restrict purchases to $2,500

and out of curiosity would be interested how cat 5 cables that I assume connect to tv - are connected to system

insider9

Apologies, I misread your post. Seems the speakers will run from a normal amp (you never know with install speakers). That makes it a little easier.

In this setup I'd be looking at multiroom setups from Sonos, Bluesound or Yamaha. And that's mainly because it would allow different zones at a relatively low cost and use of your existing speakers. Even if you're not interested in playing different music in different rooms I understand you'd want independent volume control in different parts of the house. Additionally allowing expansion should you want to have a stereo system at a later date.

Point made by Gray is important. Before spending any money I'd check if wiring is in fact functional and speakers operational. No way to tell otherwise.

Finally, your ethernet cables could be used to connect to your streamers providing more stable connection. And could also connect your smart TV to home network. Once again, do check if there's continuity.

Woodford

May 30, 2021
Visit site
Apologies, I misread your post. Seems the speakers will run from a normal amp (you never know with install speakers). That makes it a little easier.

In this setup I'd be looking at multiroom setups from Sonos, Bluesound or Yamaha. And that's mainly because it would allow different zones at a relatively low cost and use of your existing speakers. Even if you're not interested in playing different music in different rooms I understand you'd want independent volume control in different parts of the house. Additionally allowing expansion should you want to have a stereo system at a later date.

Point made by Gray is important. Before spending any money I'd check if wiring is in fact functional and speakers operational. No way to tell otherwise.

Finally, your ethernet cables could be used to connect to your streamers providing more stable connection. And could also connect your smart TV to home network. Once again, do check if there's continuity.
I’m a complete newbie - what components would be included in a multi room system from Sonos

thankbyou for your response

D

Deleted member 116933

I’m a complete newbie - what components would be included in a multi room system from Sonos

thankbyou for your response
Sono actually something like what you have installed which should help give you an idea of what you would need , you already have the speakers assuming there wired correctly you just need an amp. I don’t know how many speakers you have so you may need a few amps.

This is what Sonos sells which is also available separately but will give you an idea.

I’d contact Sonos and see what they recommended.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts