JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
All these people keep suggesting that iPods are high quality. Am I missing something or is this simply a symptom of today's convenient lifestyle solution bringing standards down? What's more they don't know any better?

I plugged my iPod into my system using an Apple Universal dock and it sounded rubbish compared to my CD player on an A/B switch with the same tune. My iPod, with Sennheiser headphones also gives me a headache with it's tinny and undetailed sound to the point I've only used it about 5 times. Utter averageness springs to mind.

A

Anonymous

the ipod shuffle is a brilliant piece of kit and will trade massive blows with £1000 cd players all day long

A

Anonymous

yeah, the ipod shuffle is a cd player eating dinosaur chomping its way confidently through cd players upto £1000 or maybe even more

A

Anonymous

matt444_2000:
the ipod shuffle is a brilliant piece of kit and will trade massive blows with £1000 cd players all day long

are you for real?

matthewpiano

matt444_2000:

I believe Boots have a good line in cotton buds. I'd buy some if I were you.

A

Anonymous

joel im not sure if you are refering to my post where i stated that the ipod would represent a wise choice as a source compared to a music server... you need to understand though that if used in conjunction with lossless file formats the ipod, esp. 4th and 5th gen. can provide good quality sound. i would never say that they are in the same league as a £1000 cd player, even a £500 cd player. i would say though that they are probably on par with some of the entry level cd players and some of the poorer performing cdps around the £400 mark. when you consider the ipods size and other functions this performance should rightly be praised.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:joel im not sure if you are refering to my post where i stated that the ipod would represent a wise choice as a source compared to a music server... you need to understand though that if used in conjunction with lossless file formats the ipod, esp. 4th and 5th gen. can provide good quality sound. i would never say that they are in the same league as a £1000 cd player, even a £500 cd player. i would say though that they are probably on par with some of the entry level cd players and some of the poorer performing cdps around the £400 mark. when you consider the ipods size and other functions this performance should rightly be praised.

The iPod is a decent player... However IMO it is utterly pointless using lossless, as the DAC is not capable of doing them justice, and no dock (other than the overpriced Wadia), eill give you a true digital out, so you are stuck with it.

Some testing I did recently, shows that a 190 KBps VBR MP3 sounds appreciably better than a WAV, through a better DAC... So long as the MP3 is well ripped, it is less of an issue than the digital to analogue stage. My £50 1GB creative is at least as good as the iPod...yet has the added advantage that it can act as an external HDD, and its output sent through a decent DAC!

iPod shmypod.

A

Anonymous

matt444_2000:yeah, the ipod shuffle is a cd player eating dinosaur chomping its way confidently through cd players upto £1000 or maybe even more
(IMO) No chance...have one and...no way...it doesn't compare to my £650 CDP...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:joel im not sure if you are refering to my post where i stated that the ipod would represent a wise choice as a source compared to a music server... you need to understand though that if used in conjunction with lossless file formats the ipod, esp. 4th and 5th gen. can provide good quality sound. i would never say that they are in the same league as a £1000 cd player, even a £500 cd player. i would say though that they are probably on par with some of the entry level cd players and some of the poorer performing cdps around the £400 mark. when you consider the ipods size and other functions this performance should rightly be praised.

The iPod is a decent player... However IMO it is utterly pointless using lossless, as the DAC is not capable of doing them justice, and no dock (other than the overpriced Wadia), eill give you a true digital out, so you are stuck with it.

Some testing I did recently, shows that a 190 KBps VBR MP3 sounds appreciably better than a WAV, through a better DAC... So long as the MP3 is well ripped, it is less of an issue than the digital to analogue stage. My £50 1GB creative is at least as good as the iPod...yet has the added advantage that it can act as an external HDD, and its output sent through a decent DAC!

iPod shmypod.

um... did you put the WAV through the better DAC too?

A

Anonymous

jees, i cant believe everyones jumpd on this like i was being serious, i was only mocking ashleys statements.

Im cd,s biggest body guard, il go to war for cd and take on the enemy mp3. ( i did start the ' i wish mp3 was never born' thread, remember)

A

Anonymous

I knew you were joking mate... I guess some just aren't too swift:p

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
al7478:fr0g:ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:joel im not sure if you are refering to my post where i stated that the ipod would represent a wise choice as a source compared to a music server... you need to understand though that if used in conjunction with lossless file formats the ipod, esp. 4th and 5th gen. can provide good quality sound. i would never say that they are in the same league as a £1000 cd player, even a £500 cd player. i would say though that they are probably on par with some of the entry level cd players and some of the poorer performing cdps around the £400 mark. when you consider the ipods size and other functions this performance should rightly be praised.

iPod shmypod.

um... did you put the WAV through the better DAC too?

Of course Al but only as a control. The WAV is better than the MP3 ultimately. But what it showed to me was that the DAC was more important than wether or not it was an MP3 or WAV...

In other words, a typical £200-£300 separates system playing CDs, can be beaten by a PC/ streamer system, with a decent DAC... PLAYING MP3s.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matt444_2000:

jees, i cant believe everyones jumpd on this like i was being serious, i was only mocking ashleys statements.

Im cd,s biggest body guard, il go to war for cd and take on the enemy mp3. ( i did start the ' i wish mp3 was never born' thread, remember)

You seem to mention ipods frequently lately. Perhaps its time to come out of the closet my friend. Common, you are with friends here, just do it and we wont think any worse of you
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

professorhat:I too, knew you were joking. That's why I didn't bother posting. Till now... who are you...?

What do you mean who am i ?

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
matt444_2000:
professorhat:I too, knew you were joking. That's why I didn't bother posting. Till now... who are you...?

What do you mean who am i ?
isnt that a jackie chan film........prof hat was prob watching while well drunk :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts