Hmmm, this is why I dislike remakes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
i think remakes that upset you re a sign of geting old.remakes of films from before my time dont bother me but when karate kid was remade i wasnt happy that was a film i wached as a kid ,why cant thay leave it alone

to be fair i took the kids to see it and it was okish

still news this week that back to the future to be remade with (justin biber?)and a us version of scum.not happy again

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
nodnarb4444:i think remakes that upset you re a sign of geting old.

No. It is a sign that the remakes tend to be reeeaaally bad!

The evidence I present your Honour is... "The Day of The Jackal" (1973. Director Fred Zinnemann, starring Edward Fox) and the train-wreck of a remake that was.. "The Jackal" (1997, Director... who cares? Starring Bruce Willis)

I will guarantee that anyone over 20 (with a shred of critical faculty) watching both would conclude that the 1973 version is a masterpiece and the Willis version an insult.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
chebby:

The evidence I present your Honour is... "The Day of The Jackal" (1973. Director Fred Zinnemann, starring Edward Fox) and the train-wreck of a remake that was.. "The Jackal" (1997, Director... who cares? Starring Bruce Willis)

I will guarantee that anyone over 20 (with a shred of critical faculty) watching both would conclude that the 1973 version is a masterpiece and the Willis version an insult.

Having read the book before seeing the film Edward Fox seems to come across as almost the perfect actor to play the title role.

Btw Frederick Forsyth is one of my favourite fiction writers.

nodnarb4444:

i think remakes that upset you re a sign of geting old.remakes of films from before my time dont bother me but when karate kid was remade i wasnt happy that was a film i wached as a kid ,why cant thay leave it alone

still news this week that back to the future to be remade with (justin biber?)and a us version of scum.not happy again

I'm with Chebby on this one - I recently mentioned (on a different thread) what Paul Hogan said about Crocodile Dundee II: "For a sequel to be as successful as the original, it needs to be twice as good."

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:nodnarb4444:

I'm with Chebby on this one - I recently mentioned (on a different thread) what Paul Hogan said about Crocodile Dundee II: "For a sequel to be as successful as the original, it needs to be twice as good."

A shame Hogan doesn't practice what he preaches.
emotion-42.gif

Big Chris:plastic penguin:nodnarb4444:

A shame Hogan doesn't practice what he preaches.
emotion-42.gif

He tried and failed - that's the point, perfectly illustrated. It's like how many really good covers versions have you heard?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Ive liked most of the horror film remakes to a degree (Halloween, Crazies, Friday 13th etc)

But was very dissapointed with A Nightmare On Elm Street which I watched this morning.

A

Anonymous

Thankfully the Bieber/Back to the Futere story is nonsense, Rest easy Nodnarb4444!

You gave me a bloody fright though!
emotion-1.gif

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
bobbyg81:

Thankfully the Bieber/Back to the Futere story is nonsense, Rest easy Nodnarb4444!

You gave me a bloody fright though!
emotion-1.gif

gonna sleep better tonight now,thanx bobbyg
emotion-5.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:
I awoke this morning in a pool of sweat, chewing on the cat's fur and trembling...

The script to the Dambusters is a Stephen Fry composition. What if he's written Guy Gibson as a "Melchett" type character?

I very much doubt that, if you knew anything about him you'd realise he'll be as faithful and respectful as he possibly can be. Or is allowed to be, more to the point.

the_lhc:plastic penguin:

I awoke this morning in a pool of sweat, chewing on the cat's fur and trembling...

The script to the Dambusters is a Stephen Fry composition. What if he's written Guy Gibson as a "Melchett" type character?

I very much doubt that, if you knew anything about him you'd realise he'll be as faithful and respectful as he possibly can be. Or is allowed to be, more to the point.

It was a light-hearted quip.

Hey, thinking about it, it would be fun way of doing a Dambuster parody.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:

Ive liked most of the horror film remakes to a degree (Halloween, Crazies, Friday 13th etc)

But was very dissapointed with A Nightmare On Elm Street which I watched this morning.

'The Fog' remake was about as chilling as a sauna in Dubai. The original is a classic and sits proudly in my collection.

scene

Big Chris:aliEnRIK:

'The Fog' remake was about as chilling as a sauna in Dubai. The original is a classic and sits proudly in my collection.

Remakes, unfortunately, are much like sequels. Sometimes, a remake can be a classic in it's own right - like Ben Hur (the 1959 Charlton Heston version) - or Battlestar Galactica (OK, it's not a film, but still a classic), just as Aliens is also a classic - or The Thing. These are often better because of advances in special effects, cinematography, or just because they have massively larger budgets than the original.

However, more often than not, it's just a case of cashing in on the name, or making an "USA" version of a foreign movie - I'm thinking of Nikita here...

And then there are "re-imaginings"
emotion-9.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:

I'd heard it was rubbish so never bothered watching it. The original is classic (Though does look dated these days)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
scene:just as Aliens is also a classic - or The Thing. These are often better because of advances in special effects, cinematography, or just because they have massively larger budgets than the original.

The remake of 'Thing From Another World' is my favourite horror of all time. Absolutely dripping in atmosphere, the distrust between the workers is palpable. Must mention Rob Bottin too (Special effects guy) some of the effects would challenge films today (some not so
emotion-4.gif
)

The only 'thing' that really spoils it for me is the blood. I could have done a better job myself!

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:

scene:just as Aliens is also a classic - or The Thing. These are often better because of advances in special effects, cinematography, or just because they have massively larger budgets than the original.

The remake of 'Thing From Another World' is my favourite horror of all time. Absolutely dripping in atmosphere, the distrust between the workers is palpable. Must mention Rob Bottin too (Special effects guy) some of the effects would challenge films today (some not so
emotion-4.gif
)

The only 'thing' that really spoils it for me is the blood. I could have done a better job myself!

If you haven't upgraded to the bd version. I can really recommend it. The picture is very good and the sound clearer. The sub doesn't get much of a work out though.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
NSYGrinner:

If you haven't upgraded to the bd version. I can really recommend it. The picture is very good and the sound clearer. The sub doesn't get much of a work out though.

I think it was the 1st bluray I ever bought
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts