High-resolution audio: clarity or confusion?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
basshound said:
TrevC said:
As I have some truly stunning CD recordings along with some real duffers I'm forced to conclude that the problem is the recording and mastering rather than any limitations of the CD medium itself. I see no point in childish insults.

+10

I think good recording/mastering is far more important than bit depth/sample rate.

Yes I quite agree, high res is a red herring. If companies like ECM can produce top class cds why not every other record company.

Agreed. I come across few poorly recorded classical CDs. Some are better than others and some use different recording techniques but I actually can't recall one that I have bought in the past few years where the recording was poor.

Chris

manicm

Someone earlier mentioned a prevaling perception of the 'dry, clinical' sound of CD. I won't get into the merits of one format over another but what I can certainly say is that I never experienced sibilance as bad as in CD replay sometimes. I'm dead certain vinyl never gets that abrasive/offensive sounding.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
basshound said:
TrevC said:
As I have some truly stunning CD recordings along with some real duffers I'm forced to conclude that the problem is the recording and mastering rather than any limitations of the CD medium itself. I see no point in childish insults.

+10

I think good recording/mastering is far more important than bit depth/sample rate.

Because Rick Rubin is not Manfred Eicher. :)

Yes I quite agree, high res is a red herring. If companies like ECM can produce top class cds why not every other record company.

manicm

Yeah, Rick Rubin, works well with some, not with others. Had a good chuckle when my ex bought Josh Groban's first album produced by him and she found it depressing and soporific, for the first time ever.

Also, I was baffled when Yoko Ono produced the 'stripped-down' Double Fantasy because 'everybody is stripping down'. In John Lennon's own words - 'Well I'm into being hip.'.

BTW, I may be in a minority here, but I loved Double Fantasy, warts, echo, reverb, female backing vocals and all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts